Looking for an overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jay66, Jul 15, 2006.

1. jay66

jay66 Member

I am looking for an overdrive pedal that isn't all out screaming grind. Iv'e been looking at the Subdecay liquid sunshine. It sounds like it will work like a volume booster or add just a little grit. Does anyone have one of these? Do you like it? The Timmy sounds like it may be along the same lines as what I'm looking for also.

2. Matt F

Matt F Member

Check out the new Pedalworx Cactus Crunch. Here is a recent thread. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=153064&highlight=cactus+crunch

I'm really singing the praises of this pedal. The more I play with it the more I love it. I've heard it referrd to as the Cactus-Klon. Not sure that would be 100% acurate but it is one of those pedals that when it's on it doesn't sound like there is a pedal on (some settings) and when it's off you think to yourself. Man, does my amp really sound that bad :) ? lol

Check it out. It's a fun one.

I had a Tim. Liked the Tim. Love the CC.

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Hi,

I have a LS overdrive. Overall I like it. I haven't tried many OD pedals so I can't say there aren't any others that may work as good or better. I use is it in conjunction with a little drive off my amp and it works pretty well. It is not a TS type of sound. If you crank all the controls it can get pretty ballsy. The level control can definately add a nice volume boost. I had brian mod mine so the drive control would not be scratchy like they come do to the FJET design. It was real annoying to me anyway.

4. madaxeman

madaxeman Member

I agree 100% with Matt about the Cactus Crunch. This is one smokin pedal! I got mine today and it took me about a minute to fall in love with it.Who knows how many different tones you can get out of this. I dialed in a tone to die for and haven't looked back. I also ran it in front of another overdrive and my amp was in heaven.This is a pedal that once you turn on you are not going to put your guitar down for long,long time.

5. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Liquid Sunshine is a great call for what you're looking for - a lot of volume available and very smooth drive. Retains chord articulation up to surprising levels of crunch. Unlike a lot of ODs, the LS loves dirty amps - the second drive control boosts middle and upper frequencies but not bass, which keeps things from getting muddy even when your amp is cranked.

(Some folks have complained about "bass cut" - imho its one of the LS' great virtues.)

You might also dig the Menatone Red Snapper and the Lovepedal one-knob Balance.

6. jay66

jay66 Member

Thanks alot for all the input. I'm going to have to do some serious research into some of these other pedals, alot of them I haven't even heard of.

7. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Check out the Gaspedal Carb :D

8. drolling

drolling Member

Jay, there are so many great lo-gain/booster type pedals out now, and most that I've tried are very good.

No experience w/Subdecay, but I've got a Tim and two Timmys (the only pedal I own 2 of). There's a long wait for Paul C.'s pedals, but they're ridiculously underpriced - I'd call him right now and get on the list.. You'll have something to look forward to while you're doing your research..

9. jay66

jay66 Member

I have been really considering giving Paul C a call. I'll search thru some old posts I think I saw his number there. Any idea what time zone he's in? I'm central myself. I'll try him in the evening later this week. I just don't want to call there to late if theres a big time difference.

10. trucks

trucks Member

Timmy is wonderful for what you want. Also, check out the Skreddy Screw Driver. It sounds great at lower gain settings (and higher).

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Most overdrives, if not all, will do what your asking because that's generally the function of an overdrive. I'd suggest trying something you can track down relatively easy like a Fulldrive II with the toggle. It will certainly school/bias your ears because it offers a great clean boost and TS808 type of tones. It's still a staple for 1000's of players; it's a great pedal. I don't use one but I've owned at least three and wouldn't hesitate to own another.

12. Wooley

Wooley Member

I have the Liquid Sunshine and I think it is a fantastic pedal. I have many overdrives and many pedals, and this is one of those ones that really seems like something special, made with a lot of care. I doubt you could go wrong with it.
    That said, I would also throw two other pedals into the ring that I am very surprised have not been mentioned:
    The Clark Gainster
    The Foxrox ZIM

The Gainster shares a good bit of ground with the LS, and is a top-notch low-gain drive for adding crunch and edge in various degrees, but never over the top.
    The ZIM is two pedals in one: a low gain overdrive a la Gainster or LS in the A-channel, and a highly modified tubescreamer in the B-channel with many different voicings to choose from. Both, to my ears, are as about as good as anything I've heard and they can be combined. Also, Dave Fox makes alternate circuits that can be purchased and easily switched with the stock circuits. Pricier, but you get two pedals, each easily worth half the total.

Food for thought.