Looking for an overdrive.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gillibi, Oct 11, 2006.

1. gillibi

gillibi Member

Please suggest some overdrive pedals......I currently run an Analogman Beano into a modified Twin Reverb w/EL84s. The Beano is on all of the time and I usually roll my guitar volume down to 7 or 8 for most of my playing, up to 10 for leads. I have a Rocktron Austin Gold that is currently my overdrive of choice. I would like a very transparent, dynamic, low to mid gain OD with NO bass rolloff that will work well with my treble booster. I also have a Fulldrive2 and TS10 that do not have the sound I am looking for. So please suggest something better than the Rocktron.

Thanks!

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

From your description, I imagine you are looking for something in the line of a lovepedal eternity, a Hotcake Bluesberry, Barber LTD.

3. Sid

Sid Member

I would suggest a Screwdriver....(adds a little useable color to the tone tho)

just consider that it might be redundant as it has a treble booster as part of its circuitry...

but it certainly matches a large part of your description

another option...heard soo much about the timmy/tim do try

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

5. asdf

asdf Member

+1 on the Tim/Timmy. If you can stand the wait (or the ebay prices) then go for it- at least if you get something else just get on the list, before you know it you'll have one of the best ODs being made.

6. Gretsch6120

Gretsch6120 Member

I don't want to sound like an idiot but what is so hot about these timmy pedals, anyone have any sound clips of these pedals? I'm in the market to get something new just want to have a listen to one in action

7. gillibi

gillibi Member

Which one is better?

8. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

My vote is always for the OCD. Love Mine!!!

9. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I play in a similar way to you. I use an Xotic RC (Real Clean) Booster, play with the guitar volume between 6-7 for clean, 8 gives me some fat edge, 9 for even more super sweet fatness, 10 I never use (9 is always fatter). When I want a little more hair I switch to an Xotic AC (Almost Clean) Booster with added gain, low to mid, does not roll off the bass but does have bass and treble eq knobs so you can dial them in however you like, which is very useful. The AC works very well with clean boosts, too, if you want to stack them. For more hair yet I use the Xotic BB Preamp.

For reference: Suhr Classic (all single-coil strat) into a Carr Slant 6V.

10. dave s

dave s Member

You have a twin reverb that runs EL-84 tubes? That's a new one on me! I have no idea what your amp sounds like, but I'm guessing pretty BRIGHT?!!!

Certain pedals have inherent brightness--TIM and TIMMY are two! The Xotic pedals (RC & AC Boost) have tone control sections that you might find useful.

Both of my amps are the type that have the really nice top end already there so I have to be careful to choose pedals that are a little duller or those that provide a means to control top end easily. I'd rather hear the top end from a Matchless or VOX than the top end from a $100 pedal anyday!

dave

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

No doubt that the Tim would work for you. It really does live up to the hype. I would suggest getting on the list and forgetting about it for a while. Or, there may be a Timmy that comes up in the emporium. I waited it out for one of each, but they ARE worth much more than Paul is charging for them.

I think the Tim is the better of the two because it is very flexible and it has more gain available with the second boost stage.

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

A fellow TGP'er turned me on to the Liquid Sunshine. My OD search was over quickly :)

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

Carb or COT50 would be what you're looking for.

14. gillibi

gillibi Member

Well a Twin Reverb is a bright mutha from the start. I did put in some really dark sounding speakers to tame the ice pick. But then added the EL84s and a Rangemaster(set on Fullboost) so they kinda cancelled that out. My brother has a stock Twin reissue and mine sounds a bit sweeter in the top end.

15. el34power

el34power Member

LTD Silver

16. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

17. dbx

dbx Member

I think you can get a sense that this is a huge topic...lots of variations to the theme...everyone has their favorite or experience to it...you'll probably be on a chase for a while...lots of good suggestions but you can't really know until you plug it into your stuff..what kind of budget range?

18. gillibi

gillibi Member

Hoping for under $200.00.

19. gillibi

gillibi Member

20. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

I'm currently running a Fulldrive II and an OCD. I love the OCD, but it's not as warm as the FDII. I'm considering getting rid of the FDII ... which pedal (Eternity? Liquid Sunshine? COT 50? Carb?) will I like best to replace my FDII (note: I almost never use the boost function, so the replacement doesn't have to have one)? I don't want to wind up with something that sounds just like the OCD.