Looking for an upgrade from the Jekyll & Hyde

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jazzrat, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Long time user of the J & H and a Visual Sound fan in general but I'd like to see what else is recommended as a step up.

I'm running into a clean Fender so if I could get a Tube Screamer with a Marshall'y second stage I'd be good. That's pretty much how I use the J & H.

Starting to look at FD Fulldrive 2 and GT-500 as well as the Xotic BB Plus.
    Any others?
    Two single function pedals would be an option too.

Not looking for crazy expensive but a level up from what I'm using.

Thanks for your help.

2. rico1204

rico1204 Member

What about a TS9 and a Rat?

3. sonicmayhem

sonicmayhem Member

I like the GT-500 but I did not find the boost side tube screamerish. It is nice that you can pick the order that the sides affect the sound.

4. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I have a J&H and feel the high gain side has a really deep bass to it. If you want to stick with that I have no ideas but for a good Marshally tone a used Menatone Shut Up And Drive is great. also I really like the Hardwire Valve Distortion for Marshally tones. I was getting ready to post asking about TS types that sound good into clean Fenders..

5. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

You could a Marshall Shredmaster and a TS9. The Hyde side is actually a derivative or clone(I don't remember which) of the Shredmaster, but the actual pedal sounds A LOT better to my ears. You should probably look into other Marshall-in-a-box pedals, though.

The Tubescreamer clone in the J&H sounds almost exactly like a regular one(I a/b'd them), so unless you want to get a modded TS you probably won't see much of a change in tone there, you might even like it less since you won't have the bass boost option.

6. bobwl

bobwl Member

I have an old silver J&H and a GT-500. The GT-500 won out on Vox type amps, but on Fender amps I prefer the J&H. Tell you the truth, if it ain't broke I wouldn't mess with it. The J&H is a great pedal and if it works there really isn't a "step up" needed.

And the boost side of the GT-500 isn't a TS, I think it's more SD-1.

7. insanecopilot

insanecopilot Member

8. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Bump for useful thread

9. mindriot

mindriot Member

I swapped it out for a TS9 and Alpha Dog