• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Looking for backing track and tab for UK "In the Dead of Night" solo

jmp2204

Hello. I've always loved this song, it inspired a whole new world of playing after listening to it. I became a lifelong Holdsworth fan because of this album. A while back, one of the British guitar mags had it transcribed with a backing track on the CD, so it's a long shot, but I want to try and finally learn this solo. If anyone has the tab/backing, it would be much appreciated, or a link to some good tab, too. Thanks in advance!

gennation

I'm not sure you'll find what you're looking for. I still listen to that album, it's a prog highlight. Someone you might want to look up is Jeremy Poparad. He might even be a member here. He's the guy behind a few of the Lifetime charts I use in bands but I know he did a full blown study on Allan a few years back and its available for free online. If you want someone to transcribe it for you (as much as possible) and come up with some rhyme or reason behind it that would be a tall order but myself or others here could do it justice but remember something that deep might not be free.

Personally I've learned a number chops on a few versions of Fred (guitar and keys) as well as the studio stuff on Proto Cosmos. And there was tab floating around decades ago Devil/Hindmost. Although, I don't think I ever sat down to be humiliated by In The Dead Of The Night ;)

gennation

I should add that I run a few large ISP networks and I will search the internet for you to see if I can find the material you mention. Any other details you can provide would be very very helpful too.

jmp2204

Wow! Thanks Gennation! I'll start sifting through all of that. I found a copy of Guitar for the Practicing Musician(?) from the late 90s that has the tab, and I've gotten through the first page, almost! It's definitely not one of his most complex solos, but it is particularly sublime. It definitely hooked me on the concept of playing 'outside' and that you could move far past the blues idiom while still rockin' if that makes sense. I've been fortunate to meet and speak with him over the last 30 years and it was always enlightening. Thank you again and any other advice you can offer, I'd appreciate it.

gennation

No problem at all. That's quite the tune you're tackling!

Here's a guy with a download of the midi: http://www.blitter.com/~russtopia/MIDI/~jglatt/files/prog.htm

If you have Guitar Pro or some other music notation software you can import it. I did and it has all the instruments transcribed in individual tracks. It would make it real easy to slow things down and work through the lines. Also, you could mute the guitar track and the rest could be the backup track you were looking for.

Trending Topics