Looking for basic home recording set up

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by williamh, Mar 30, 2008.

1. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

I'm looking to start recording some of my music at home. Don't need anything professional level, as it will mostly be for my own use. I do need to be able to record guitars, bass, keyboard, and vocals, as well as probably needing a something to program drum beats. So basically, what software/hardware would I need to get started? Not looking for anything amazing here, to be honest since I have no experience it would probably be better for me to start out with less pricey stuff. The only piece of equipment I already own that would be useful at all is a sennheiser e906 for my guitar amp.

2. buchla300

buchla300 Member

iMac
    Audio interface eg: Apogee Duet or Motu ultralite
    Garageband is built into the iMac.
    The 906 is a great mic.

3. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

the mac isn't exactly an option. I don't have the money to buy a new computer just for recording.

4. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Long in the tooth Silver Supporting Member

Email me at jearlyc@comcast.net I have a Digi 001 with a ProTools version that works with XP..I've recorded some nice stuff with it..all you need is a PC with Windows XP 1 card slot and a Gig memory..I just upgraded to a 002 so I have no need for it and will let it go at a very low price..these are very easy to record great music and easy to use...

5. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Sorry, thought you wanted a computer too
    For PC, the above option sounds good to me. You get to learn PT as the software is nearly identical to the full version and it should sound fine.