Looking for big, fat Fender tones!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dylan Fagan, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Dylan Fagan

Dylan Fagan Member

Hi all! I have a jonesin’ for some fat, deep, naturally sustaining cleans, and thought where else better to turn than the ever so knowledgeable folks at TGP? ;)

Well... Let's see, I'm currently looking for something, and having a bit of trouble figuring out what that 'something' is. What I do know is, I'm looking for a Fender-type amp, and basic requirements include:

- 6L6 or 6v6 based
    - GREAT reverb
    - Combo (preferably)
    - Tube rectified
    - 40-60 watt range
    - Good clean headroom
    - Breaks up smoothly

And that's it. It seems like this shouldn't be hard to find, I believe I just need a little guidance in the right direction. A dirt channel would be nice, but definitely not required. I'm perfectly fine with using a clean amp as a nice palette for OD's.

A Super Reverb seems to fit this bill, but I hear they're back breakers, yes? I've played a few SRRI's and thought they were wonderful, but also thought I might as well keep my options open and see what else is out there.

If it was reasonably priced -let's say, up to 1500? - That would be nice too. Oh man I'm excited to hear some replies. You guys are always so helpful!

Thanks for the time :dude

2. Roe

Roe Member

allen!
    (or alessandro rottweiler)

3. empty71

empty71 Member

Reverend Kingsnake combo if you can find one. They're amazing amps for the $$$:dude

4. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

As the proud owner of a healthy, happy '73 Super Reverb, I can't help but sing it's praises. However, they're very, very loud. Anywhere I play with a capacity of less than 200 people, I usually can't turn it up past 3. If volume is going to be an issue then you might want something with a bit less power. And yes, they're really heavy. In fact, the top is coming unglued on mine. You might try finding an old one and fixing it up. (There's one in the local paper right now) Super Reverb

If cost isn't an issue you might try a Vibro King. Gnarly sounding amps--literally--with a three knob reverb unit hard wired to the input stage. It might be exactly what you're looking for, except for the solid-state rectifier. (just looked at your post again, you'll need to buy it used but it's still affordable)

A Pro Reverb is a great amp too. I had one for ten years--wish I still had it too. Two 12s at 40 watts, it's a perfect gig amp.

The brown '63 Vibroverb reissue is a sweet amp too. It's 40 watts into two 10s. On the down side, it's got a solid state rectifier.

A silver face vibroluxe is a great sounding amp with 2X10s.

I can't recommend any boutique-type amps because I don't keep up with them. Honestly, you can hardly go wrong with an old fender tube amp. Even if it sounds like burning dog **** when you first buy it, it can (and should) be put on the bench for new tubes and caps and it'll sound like a different amp when you get it back. You're looking at about $150 to $200 in parts and labor--more if you want all NOS tubes.

As long as the transformers are in good shape it doesn't cost too much to get an old, beat-up workhorse sounding good again. They're like old cars, only they're a lot cheaper to fix. :cool:

Happy hunting.

5. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Try the Victoria Victorilux 6L6 version. It does the SR thing very well, great chime, awesome reverb and trem, about 40lbs, better and more breakup than a blackface. These are working their way down to about $1500 on ebay these days.

Over your price range a bit, but the Bruno Cowtipper line really does out-Fender Fenders. I still want to hear a CT 35--it's like this amp is just a rumor--never seen one. If it would sound like the CT 45, but be a bit less punishing volume wise I'd place an order. Great amps, the Brunos.

6. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Another vote for the Alessandro Working dog 40watt model. Plus you have a choice of speaker combinations. They are also very light.

Try the Super Reverb RI also. Not too heavy and a great bang for the buck (IMHO) compared to the botiques especially used.

Joe

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Most vintage blackface SRs and PRs are within that price. Also, a used Fender Dual Pro is fantastic. You can get a new Allesandro Rottweiler for around a grand I believe. Of course I think you should save and just get the Bruno. :dude

8. theHoss

theHoss Member

I would suggest a Heritage Liberty. Head cab version takes care fo the weight. It is 45 watts of 6L6 clean tone. Awesome amp, I just got mine last night, and was looking for the exact same thing. Mine is a bit different because I and a custom cabinet built. I think www.guitarx.com has one for $1800.

9. Mike

Mike Member

Mike Holland is in Tennessee isn't he? Nashville/Brentwood? If you can find him, he builds a GREAT amp. I have a 100-watt head, and am getting this 50-watt combo next week:

[​IMG]

Mike

10. CNP

CNP Member

Sewell Texaverb -- awesome Fender tones, great reverb, 1x12 combo, transparent master volume, superb quality and weighs about 40 lbs.

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

How about a big, fat Fender? :D

12. Mike

Mike Member

Too big, too fat. ;)

13. DreamTone7

DreamTone7 Guest

bsceptor - "How about a big, fat Fender?"

LOL...beat me to it!

14. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

how about a pro reverb or vibrolux?......silverfaced versions are still pretty cheap....heck, for $1500 you could probably have one of each and still have enough for a tune up on both.....

d

15. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've been playing my Tele (CSTS pups) through my friend's CS Vibrolux Reverb, and it sounds huge, fat and spanky. The only drawback is it seems to be quite hissy/noisy, especially if the reverb's on. Probably a tube issue, though.

16. tuna

tuna Member

How ' bout the Fender 64 Custom Vibroverb. Great amp, this was a colaboration with Cesar Diaz and Fender. Basically things he did to SRV's Vibroverbs. It is 40 watts (tube rectifier) of Fender clean flip a switch over to diode rectifier and you have 50watts. There is also an extra gain switch on the back that takes out the vibrato and gives you some nice Fender overdriven tones. Price is in your ballpark too. Oh, I forgot 15" speaker also.

17. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

A Komet 60 with set of RCA 6L6GC blackplates....

Cold stares, cool looks, warm tones, and hot licks....
    Man, it just don't get no better than this.

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

LOL!! Mike, did you own a Dual Pro for a while? If so, what did you think? :confused:

19. dzo

dzo Member

+1 on the Alessandro Rottweiler.