• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looking for Boost pedal suggestions

IcedEarth

I'm looking for a good Boost for my JSX to add just a touch of grit, remaining transparent, and tightens the low end.

The JSX is boomy. Tons of bass, yet can be flabby. It also has a ton of gain. I tried lowering it with 12AT7, 5751, and various other lower gain tubes, and it just made it thin and anemic. I've been using an MXR GT-OD, which works, but even gain at zero, it adds too much compression. I have a TC Spark Booster, and that's too warm, even setting the bass to zero. Flab.. Fulltone OCD, same. If I could get the grit of the GT-OD and transparency of the OCD, that would be ideal.

RC Booster?
Timmy?
Maxon OD808?
Katana?

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
I love Timmy. I think it can do the job well. It has flexible tone controls which look beneficial for your task.
Some other options:
- SolidGoldFX Nitro Boost. Can do clean boost and a boost with some grit pretty well. It's out of production. So you'll need to find a used one.
- MI Audio Boost'n'Buff. Can do clean and dirty boost.
- Fairfield Barbershop is also a cool option. Capable of transparent low gain sounds when the Drive knob is set low.

Last edited:

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Gold Supporting Member
You could try a DOD 250.

My favorite variant is the Analogman Modded 250, pre-Digitech, but they are somewhat uncommon. The Digitech version is a nice pedal as well albeit not identical in sound to the vintage and reissue models. Then of course there are the vintage ones, which are pricey but sound great.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
After trying so many boosts over the years I finally listened to some TGP people and I went with an EQ pedal. I got the SA programmable one for 4 presets. It seems like you could dial-in the frequencies you need easily with an EQ over a boost pedal.

MoonshineMan

Who even knows how long I've had my FD2? Run it in CompCut. Little mid boost, trims (or at least doesn't boost) bass and electrifies the sound.
Best damn boost I know. I've not even bothered to look for another.
It's big, though. But it's two boosts, if you have one.

DaveKS

After trying so many boosts over the years I finally listened to some TGP people and I went with an EQ pedal. I got the SA programmable one for 4 presets. It seems like you could dial-in the frequencies you need easily with an EQ over a boost pedal.
Agree, with a high gain amp to add extra grit a eq is really all you need, the simple fact of boosting into its input adds the extra grit while tubes will just naturally compress a bit more.

Rocket EQ is my best for doing this, roll off bass to tighten it up on bottom, find freq you need for your guitar/amp/speakers and push it harder at preamp, your amp will do the rest and still sound like your amp.

duckbunny

I use a Toneconcepts The Distillery for a very similar reason. It does this well. Not exactly a plug-it-in-and-go pedal, but it does multiple jobs (i.e. with many different amps) superbly.

-db

Major Dude

From your list and requirements for a transparent boost with EQ to tighten up flabby bass I would look at the Timmy. Paul C's creation is perfect for doing just that and it's made by one of the good guys too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom