• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looking for Chorus Suggestions

bubbaheat

I currently play a couple of guitars through a late Fender ProTwin (100 watt with distortion channel). I love the clean sound of the amp but am looking for a way to get a thicker Jangle out of it for clean rhythm parts (Tom Petty and the like). I'm in a one guitar band so my parts need to sound really full.

I'd like some suggestions on chorus. I had a Boss but didn't like it. I'm looking for something subtle and warm and hopefully not too big on the board.

Ideas??

fellsilver

Sounds like a Jacques Meistersinger might do the trick. It can get as subtle as you'd like, since it has a mix/level knob... compact, too! I don't know what your budget is, but you might also want to check out the Red Witch Medusa or the Retro-Sonic Chorus.

nsriley

I have Retro-Sonic chorus. It's very warm sounding, and sounds great into a clean amp. I use mine into a very distorted amp too, a la Alex Lifeson. It's a slightly big footprint though, mainly because of the Vibrato side of it.

popsongsmith

I currently play a couple of guitars through a late Fender ProTwin (100 watt with distortion channel). I love the clean sound of the amp but am looking for a way to get a thicker Jangle out of it for clean rhythm parts (Tom Petty and the like). I'm in a one guitar band so my parts need to sound really full.

I'd like some suggestions on chorus. I had a Boss but didn't like it. I'm looking for something subtle and warm and hopefully not too big on the board.

Ideas??
You probably had the wrong Boss chorus. The CE-2 is the epitome of subtle, warm and small. The industry standard, really.

bubbaheat

You probably had the wrong Boss chorus. The CE-2 is the epitome of subtle, warm and small. The industry standard, really.
I had a super Chorus and never really loved it. Of course at the time I was playing entirely diffeent music than I am now.

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
I recently traded into a made in japan Ibanez CS-9 that I really like. It's not true bypass, but I do not notice a difference when I don't have it in my small chain.

The price is reasonable and it's not much bigger than a boss pedal.

Others will suggest more expensive pedals, and I'm sure that they all have their merits.

Off subject, I used to have a CE-2 that I bought at a pawnshop for 20 bucks and a family member stole it from me. I don't have proof, but the previous week, he was asking if I'd sell it and really wanted it. The day it disappeared, he had a big jacket on and never took it off. I miss that pedal. Fortunately, I cut him off and I don't miss him.

brianf

I have both the Maxon CS9 Pro and the Choralflange. I like the CS9 better because it is very easy to dial in. CF has the little switches etc.

I also think the CS9 Pro is smoother.

brianf

DrGonzo

Platinum Supporting Member
The Analogman Clone Chorus is awesome. Very lush and warm sounding. If I used chorus more, I'd still have one. I still think about picking another up once in awhile.

Free

Thick midrangey chorus = H2O, not to mention the myriad other tonal possibilities and delays.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The CE-2 is the best "chewy" chorus Boss ever made (the CE-1 is totally different and best in it's own way). They've gone downhill ever since and the current offerings are harsh and unmusical compared. They're not expensive and you won't lose any money buying one and selling if you don't like. The EH Small Clone was a liquid sounding, slightly more intrusive chorus and the analogman Clone Clone nails it. It's the one I'm using on my church board. There's enough in the pipeline you could likely find a used one, again losing nothing. The TCF by TC Electronics is another standard, a bit more clinical (read less harmonic complexity but steps on your sound less so it'd work for an acoustic for instance) but very flexible chorus, AC powered. I'd try those 3 before I went for something smaller print. I think the Ibanez CS9 and the CE-2 are pretty similar, BTW.

cestlamort

I love my ibanez cs9 (mij, older). It does a great chimey chorus. They can also be had for cheap if you look around long enough.

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
I recorded a clip of my CS9 of some very general settings (width mostly set at noon) and it gets a good range of Boss CE-2 Sounds (had one that was stolen from me). It wasn't a comprehensive recording, but it does give you an idea of some of the sounds.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom