looking for class A combo for home use

tiny terror

looking for class A combo for home use. I've been checking out the reviews on the Bogner Shiva or the Hot Cat by Bad Cat. The tone sounds like what I'm looking for but I'm starting to think they might be to much power for house use. Is their anything else in that caliber to check out

wsaraceni

shiva and bad cat are very similar. shiva isn't "class A" and is 60 watts. both are great amps. im sure others will say the bad cat isnt "Class A" either. what sounds are you looking for? what price range?

tiny terror

That was my 1st choice then someone told me checkout the shiva and the hot cat. Ive only heard the venus 6 through sound clips not in person and it sounded great!

devinb

Don't confuse the class of the amp with the type of tubes in it...for a long time I thought it was being a class A amp that gave Vox's their tone...it's part of it for sure, but class A amps can sound wildly different...

I'd recommend looking into different 5 watt amps, Valvetrain 205TB, Gries 5 and so on...

Gene

What about a good old Fender champ? Great amps in my opinion. Especially the blackface ones.

emjee

I recently purchased a Goodsell 5. I had read nothing but good things about Goodsell from some reliable sources here on TGP, So when one came up in the Emporium I jumped on it, and man am I happy with it.
It sounds more like thirty watts than five! Crisp clean tones with a very evenly eq'd. They only made a dozen or so, b/c Richard said they cost too much to make for the return, so he built the 5/17. Just a thought.

MG

TIG

I'm thinking the new Venus 3 might be worth checking out..Might be time to retire the old princeton reverb??!!

FFTT

Let's back up here a minute before this goes too far off of what you need.

You want a Class A single ended for home use?
Or do you want Class A push pull with considerably more power?

For a fine quality home recording amp, I'd look at the Emery Sound Superbaby, Vintone Simplex, Gries 5 , Fargen Miniplex MkII, or Reeves Custom 12 .

Most of these run 3-12 watts Class A Single ended.

They are small convenient and louder than you might imagine.

If you're planning on jams with loud drummers or live performance, then
you may want to upgrade into the 18-30 watts Class A push pull range or class AB.

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm actually thinking of retiring the Champ and getting something with a more low end and lush clean. This is a good thread (though I don't care about the operating class).

What about the venerable Carr Mercury?

wsaraceni

if i was looking in the 1-2k price range, id be seriously checking out the goodsell 17 and the swart lineup.

thesedaze

The Siegmund Midnight Special is just about the most versatile beautiful sounding class A amp you could have at home...

http://www.siegmundguitars.com/MS.html

I believe there's a few for sale here. The transformerless reverb is to die for! Any of the setups will do, but my pal just got a killer late 40s Field Coil speaker setup. Sounds amazing!

Trending Topics