Looking for comparisons between Quilter, Peavey TransTube, and Tech 21

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deuterium, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Would anyone who has tried both, care to compare/contrast Quilter's analog solid-state amp OD/Distortion with Peavey's TransTube technology (e.g. their newest generation Vypyr VIP series). Yes, I realize that the Vypyr has additional bells and whistles, including a suite of digital Post-FX...but put that aside.

Likewise, the comparative cost and general build quality between these two manufacturers and their offerings isn't something I am inquiring about...and hope that could be put aside, difficult as that may be to some.

I am looking strictly for a comparison in terms of general, overall fidelity in emulating the pre-amp and poweramp characteristics of an all tube amp, i.e., tone, feel and response/dynamics.

I hope to get some interesting, and honest feedback.

If anyone wishes to include commentary and feedback regarding Tech 21's Trademark series / SansAmp technology, as it compares to to Quilter and Peavey, that would be welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,
    John S

2. quilsaw

quilsaw Supporting Member

Sorry John, can't really help you with the comparison, though I'll be interested to see what others can add. I do happen to have a Tech 21 Trademark 60 and think it's a very fine SS amp, probably the best I've tried. I keep it for backup purposes and as a loaner, but it doesn't quite scratch the tube itch for me, personally.

FWIW, I've tried it in numerous configurations, slaving into a tube power amp and as a slave. All things considered, given my somewhat limited range of experiments, I'm inclined yet to keep real tubes somewhere in the equation, not sure which half, really :) (Sort of depends on the day, my ears, and mood, I suppose.)

All that said, its a very versatile, reliable, and "pretty good" sounding amp, much better than various modeling versions I've tried.

3. Baminated

Baminated Member

Id be amazed if someone who has tried / compared , &/or owned both comparing it to quilter, and if so, very few to really deminstrate something generalized across the board.

What you're looking at is a gamble

1. Go on the low risk & get the peavey that will depreciate & may be tough to resell if you don't like it.
    2. Tech 21 will be an easier resell.
    3. Higher risk w/the quilter , but it will hold its value if resold , although Amps are tough to resell these days.

Easiest gamble is the tech 21

4. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I own a Peavey Transformer (Vypyr predecessor) and previously owned a Tech 21 TM10 and TM60. Sound-wise, I strongly prefer the Peavey. The Peavey's T-dynamics circuit is effective at introducing sag, and the pre/post eq sections are very powerful.

I also own a Pritchard amp, and it blows away any of the SS or small tube amps I owned previously. I'm not a tube purist, though, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. ;)

I bought the Peavey used as an experiment. I swapped the speaker, and it's just good enough that I might not have taken the plunge on the Pritchard if I'd owned it beforehand. Of course I have the benefit of hindsight now, and the Pritchard isn't going anywhere.

I'm way curious about the Mach 2 now that they've got the gain channel up to snuff. I have no doubt that it's worth every penny of its asking price.

5. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Thanks for the feedback, Ben.

6. Baminated

Baminated Member

Ben, which spkr did yA drop in the Pv?

7. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

I used an Eminence Legend that I had no better uses for. It was an improvement, so I kept it in....

8. Lothar34

Lothar34 Supporting Member

I've have some experience with these. Years ago I had a Trademark 10 & was never crazy about it, but my playing experience was limited at the time. When the Vyper VIP came out I was super stoked. I bought a VIP1 & found it to be incredibly shrill with zero low end (at least the guitar models- as a bass practice amp it was fair). I even ran it to my 112 because I suspected it was the speaker or small cab. It wasn't. It was just as bad & I practically gave it away. Last year I joined a hobby band & didn't want to haul my 20W tube amp. My other tube amps were only 5w. So I grabbed a red stripe Bandit from CL to use as a clean pedal platform. It does that very well. I did not like the onboard distortion, but w/ a Weber clone G12H30 instead of the stock Sheffield, it improved greatly for playing rock.

Pulled a muscle in my back dragging the 50 lb Bandit around, & that prompted a Tone Block purchase. It does the clean platform thing a little better & with more headroom. I recently got frustrated w/ my tube amps & liked the TB enough to gamble on another Quilter- a MP Mach 2 head. I expected it wouldn't be much better than the Bandit, maybe a little over-hyped, etc and I'd just return it to AMS. Boy was I wrong! I've never been so impressed with an amp. I sold my little Marshall already and am now purging some of the others (including the TB since the MP has the same circuitry as one of its voicings). I've been looking for a tube-killer & this very well may be it

9. 70s Rocker

70s Rocker Overdriven Member Silver Supporting Member

Tried them all and liked (have) the Quilter MicroPro and a ToneBlock.

I also bought a DV Mark Little Jazz 45 - it's way past cool ...

10. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Had a Trademark 60 for a while, only used the clean channel + pedals. Overall, the amp sounded nice for a solid-state amp, but there was this subtle compression in the overall sound that couldn't be dialed out that forced me to sell it. It's pretty subtle, but when I A/B'd it with a good tube-amp, you could definitely notice it.

11. talentless hack

talentless hack Member

I used to have a Peavey Bandit - a US-made teal stripe version - and a Tech 21 Trademark 60. Preferred the cleans on the TM 60, but preferred the dirt on the Bandit. If I had to pick between the two, I'd go with the Bandit because while I didn't like it as much clean as the TM60, the Bandit still held its own...whereas on OD, the TM60 honestly kinda sucked. Very brittle mids.

I have no experience with Quilter whatsoever.