Looking for dense and pointy pick that's not too thick

ari

Hey guitarists,

Can you recommend me a pick that meets the following criteria?
  • Around 1mm in thickness
  • Made with a denser material than plastic, nylon or similar material (doesn't bend)
  • Pointy tip (pointier than Jazz III)
  • Not too expensive (less than $10 per pick)
This is for my acoustic guitar -- on electric I swear by Dragon's Heart picks and I developed a picking style that uses that pointy top mostly. But on my dreadnought acoustic this pick is too thick, the low end is too boomy. But I love the material it's made of, it's called polyamide-imide? It's dense and gives a bold midrange. After getting used to this other picks made of more traditional material don't sound good to me, the note attacks feel artificial and cheap (no offense).

Dragon's Heart came out with a thinner pick recently but it's 0.75mm and made of plastic, so it's too flimsy. I'm wondering if V-picks or Gravity has something that meets my criteria? I've looked at their site but I'm not certain.

Thanks for your help!

ari

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
V-pick large ultralite - the red is a teensy bit thicker / warmer than the clear - I use either one depending on the guitar & song

Reactions: ari

Blues Lyne

Gravity Picks standard acrylics start at 1.5mm, but the thin pick series come in .90mm and 1.1mm. The Razor (standard shape with elongated pointed tip) Sunrise (jazz III shape) and Striker Pointed (triangle) all have pointed tips, but the Razor is probably closest to what you are looking for.

Razor is middle left, Striker middle right and Sunrise is in the bottom row.

gearscrubs

Not really pointier than a Jazz III, but the Petrucci Signature Jazz III is slightly larger, but with a nice beveled tip and is made of Ultex (about 1.5 mm). One of my favorite picks for sure. Also, the Ultex Sharp picks are pretty good.

Have you checked out the Dunlop Ultex sharps? They make a 1.14mm one. Quite like their sound and feel, personally.
This is exactly what I would suggest. I have fallen in love with Ultex in the past year. I play the standard round tips, but the sharps are rad too. They're easy to find, and more importantly, cheap!

ari

Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely check out some of the suggestions. For Ultex guys -- does it sound different from plastic or Tortex? The web site says it's flexible, which is not exactly what I want. I mean, with a 1mm or so thickness I understand that there will be a little give perhaps...

Blues Lyne

Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely check out some of the suggestions. For Ultex guys -- does it sound different from plastic or Tortex? The web site says it's flexible, which is not exactly what I want. I mean, with a 1mm or so thickness I understand that there will be a little give perhaps...
I don't think you'll find much flex in the ultex picks at 1-1.14mm. It's been a while since I've used them, but I remember them being pretty hard and stiff. I like the sound of Gravity Picks better, but the ultex do sound different than tortex, celluloid and delrin picks.

Trending Topics