Looking for distortion/boost suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluspwr, Jul 22, 2006.

1. bluspwr

bluspwr Member

Just bought a new Top Hat Club Royale and I would like to know if there is a good multi-function pedal that would produce a good crunchy classic/hard rock rhythm as well as a fat boost that could work independent of the crunch.

I prefer one pedal with two buttons, but if that is not reasonable, what two pedals would do this? Would like for it to be reasonably quiet too.

Once upon a time I had a Fulltone FDII that I loved for the boost, but I did not like the OD side of the pedal.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Email Paul Crowther and ask him if you can get a Double Hotcake...

3. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I have customers with a Top Hat Club Royale same that really like my ThroBak Overdrive Boost. Go to my site for audio clips with a Les Paul and an 18 watt clone. www.throbak.com

As much as I would like to sell one myself, there is a good deal right now on a used one in the gear emporium.

4. Curt

Curt Member

An HBE Big "D"

It's the best I've used.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Not any more!

I was playing through the pedal last night with my Maz 18 and totally dig the box. I don't need the $$$ bad enough and I know I'll miss it. And I agree - I think it would kill with a CR because it works crazy good with the chimey/EL84 type of amps.

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The TC Jauernig Gristle King is two pedals in one, with two footswitches to activate either one. You can also set up which order you want the effects to run in!

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Did you finally ditch the DGTM for a GK?

8. carltonh

carltonh Member

+1 on the Throbak ODB. It works great for both settings, though it only has one switch, so not at the same time. I end up using the germanium side 98% of the time. I was just comparing the high gain overdrive sound (meaning not using it as a fuzz) to my Barber DD at high gain. The ODB is less compressed and more natural sounding, but can still be as tight... and is amazingly low noise. I use a somewhat extreme setting.... gain max, treble near min, bass max. I can get sort of a cross between a Rangemaster & the Barber DD.

Though iif you want a boutique quality true bypass pedal with two functions for as cheap as possible that would get the sounds you want, check out the Zinky True Grit. It does great for both sounds, and I happen to be selling one.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Heck no. I love my DGTM, and my boost needs are covered by the grandmaster, Catalinbread :dude

10. Kezend

Kezend Member

possibly wait for the zvex box of rock. distortion and boost in one box.

11. Kezend

Kezend Member

the superduper when set up like this (like mine) doesnt have enough gain, and it sounds quite bad when pushed. i use the second channel as a fairly clean gain boost, first channel is always on, for clarity. the box of rock would be better suited i think

12. bluspwr

bluspwr Member

Any more thoughts/suggestions?

Seymour Duncan Twin Tube???

Radial pedal of some sort???

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Check out the Hotcake Bluesberry, Paul Crowther was working on a double Hotcake version, he might be able to make you one with a standard Hotcake going into a Bluesberry. I think he had mentioned that there would be a series/parallel switch, too... I have used both with the Ghia with great results and now have the Bluesberry.

14. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

BJF Dyna Red Distortion and Red Rooster Booster. Stunning.

15. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Also, look into G2D Custom Overdrive (2 button), Banzai also has a couple of 2 button boxes, Pro Analog Dual Drive could work, but is best at stage volume only, at least in my experience.

16. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

"There are some who know me as...TIM?"