looking for easy/inexpensive digital tone from Fender?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by doublescale1, Mar 14, 2015.

1. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    So there is rarely any discussion in this forum about the digital stuff from Fender but I was thinking about picking up an inexpensive modeling amp, and here's why: A) the Fenders seem to be certainly in that lower price category B) so many of the modeled amps are classic Fender models, that is the amp tone I'd use the most, so why not them?
    Which would be a better sounding offering from them, a used Cyber Deluxe or a newer Mustang III v2 - I'd like to be able to use it at rehearsal and even the occasional small/med. room gig when I don't feel like hauling the glass powered units out. We mic everything so it will be feeding FOH through the PA anyway. Anyone have first hand experience with either the Cyber Deluxe or a Mustang III v2, and which one brings the best sound? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. doublescale1

3. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Rarely any Fender digital discussion? Try searching this forum for Fender Mustang. There's an abundance.

I've never tried a Cyber Deluxe.

4. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

I have a Mustang v head with all the foot controllers. I run it in stereo thru a 1960B 4x12. It sounds great to me. I use a bassman preset for clean and semi dirty. I use the Orange model and the 5150 model for high gain stuff. I also have a Mustang floor at the practice space. Both sound great for the money and I feel like I would have to go to Kemper or Axe land to get a major improvement on the modeling end. Haven't played a Champ fwiw. Like anything else, it takes some tweaking.

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have sold an AxeFx Standard, an HD 500, a GT10, and a Vox modeller and play entirely on a Mustang III, in spite of having half a dozen tube amps sitting idle in my guitar room.
    It does all I need, does it quickly and easily (no endless tweaking), at any volume, is light weight, powerful (100 real watts, it gets scary above 3) and does not need any separate power amps or FRFR speakers. It sounds and feels like an amp in the room because it is one.
    The stock presets are mostly useless, but there are fine, rich, touch sensitive tones in there. It should cost 4 times as much (don't tell Fender!).

6. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, I thought you were asking if anyone was looking for digital tone from Fender.

7. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I'd go with the Mustang over the Cyber Deluxe. I think the feel and tone have improved. The old Cyber Twin SE was also great, but had a few quirks.

8. djd100

djd100 Member

I have a Super Champ XD with a custom FX Loop and recab'd with a 12" speaker (Princeton 65 Cab), which works well for grab and go.

9. doublescale1

thanks for the input - 9fingers, great stuff. thnx to all

10. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I have a Mustang III v.2 and it's amazing amp for the money, and a good amp at any price. Being solid state, it won't ever have the bloom and 3D quality of a tube amp, but in a band situation, no one would ever know the difference.

It gets plenty loud, has many good amp models(the Fenders are especially good), has ok basic effects, plenty of preset locations, direct outputs to the PA, and computer software that makes deep editing easier(even though it's a bit confusing).

The only negative is the footswitch set up. You need to have the 4 button to gig with unless you're going to use it with only one or two amp models. Even with both pedals it's a bit hard to change banks. I wish they had an arrangement similar to the Line 6 ones.

For the money these amps are much better sounding than the Spider series, or Peavey that I've tried.

11. markbosko

markbosko Member

Pretty good Fender tones, I'm thinking 4 or so basic clean amps with a pedal in front.

12. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I opted for the Mustang Floor and a portable studio monitor. Same tones as the Mustang amps and the Super Champ X2 but in a more versatile pedal format and you can choose your amplification to suit your need (studio monitors for home, FRFR or power amp + cab for stage). I really think Fender gets overlooked because when most of us think "Fender" we think vintage Blackface and Tweed amps, not modern digital modeling. Seriously, their stuff is as good as anyone out there shy of probably Fractal or Kemper for 10X the cost. I tried the Line 6 HD500 and was left feeling kind of "meh," while the entire Mustang line seems to really connect with me.