looking for full sounding OD/fuzz/dist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yerbluesrob, Feb 18, 2012.

1. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

I've got some good overdrives on my board and some clones (Timmy, Klon, SHO, Sparkle Drive, T1M Touch Drive), I usually stack them for different gain stages, played into a pretty clean Tophat Club Deluxe, but I've been looking for something a to get a nice thick, full, heavy (without being metal-ly or fizzy) sound, maybe a fuzz but I've tried a couple that I didn't like, too fizzy or sputtery. Something with lots of sustain, thick being the operative word. I play mostly P&W. Any suggestions?

2. 3LittleBirds

3LittleBirds Member

OCD, lunar module, muffs,T1M punch drive

Four very different pedals but all can do what you describe. I play p&w as well.

3. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Fulltone Catalyst is all that in one pedal. But it requires meticulous setup to sound its best. There are other FET based pedals that have a similar body to their tone as well - almost makes it sound like had I had KT66s in my amp, really.

4. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

5. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

+1 on the OCD. Great distortion pedal that is really tight.

6. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I agree a Big Muff might be what you're after. The OCD gets its fullest sounding at higher gain settings (past half way), and the Catalyst sounds great as well.

7. brain21

brain21 Member

I was gonna suggest an old muff clone. The Lunar Module is supposed to be an awesome one. Fuzz faces (at leat my silicone ones) sound great if you back the fuzz way off. The thicken and smooth out the sound and add only a little extra grit.

8. terrapin

terrapin Member

I say a muff like the other guys. I recently got a Skreedy PigMine that does just what you describe. You should also look at the Analogman Astrotone.

9. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Skreddy has your fix. Lunar Module or Screwdriver in the mini deluxe format. Order now, and in two months you won't be disappointed. If you are, flip it in the emporium for $10 more than you paid. I bought a SDMD, and could not be happier, best higher gain, non-OD pedal I've ever owned. Sounds so sweet, I signed up for the lunar module one-month later.

10. {Bold-as-love}

{Bold-as-love} Member

The full tone ultimate octave is a great fuzz pedal.. I happen to gig with it and love it.. It's loud!!! But it isn't "sputtery at all.. It can withstand it's tone and drive well.. It's pretty fizzy though.. But you can change that I like it that way. It has a fat and a bright switch which is nice too. And the full tone OCD is nice.. Very fat and full sounding.. Also has an HP and an LP switch.

11. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

PTD Mini Bone
    AM Astrotone
    Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe
    Monsterpiece Ge (with voice switch)

12. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

Should try a BAT Pharaoh. I play P&W too and when I need something really heavy and big sounding I kicked in the Pharaoh. I ended up selling it though since I wanted something fuzzier.

13. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

A Russian style muff might be what you are after. Try something like the Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian.

14. wesc

wesc Member

I got a Crowther Hotcake about two weeks ago, and I am amazed at how much low end it preserves. All my other ODs sorta just chop off the low end, but the Hot Cake doesn't. It's my perfect rhythm sound. My only gripe about it is that it likes to be close to first in the chain as far as ODs go. Basically you can get away with a clean boost before it, but anything with very much volume before it makes it really weird sounding.

15. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret.

...But really, the true sound you're wanting can only be achieved in a real amp's real drive channel, IMO. I played through an Orange Rockerverb tonight that just reminded me how much no pedal IN FRONT of that amp can ever sound like a good amp distortion, and the saturation of tubes, the order of dirt within the tone stack, etc.

16. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

Or Box Of War for Civil War Muff tones. Wren & Cuff are just killin' it right now.

17. Zero G

Zero G Member

You guys are playing Passion & Warfare? Man, you must have some serious chops! :omg