Looking for Good Clean Boost Pedal

charless

LL Flying Dragon
Xotic RC Booster

Both are outstanding clean boosts I highly recommend. The Flying Dragon is probably the more transparent between them.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
Don't overlook the new fulltone. That "feel" knob (or whatever it's really called) makes that one of my favorite boosts ever, and I've been through most of them. (and still own several).
...I just bought this today. Should be receiving it next week. It really sounds like a great boost and I needed a good buffer anyway. Nothing to lose for what is cost....thanks for the tip!

shinksma

Sleeping thread needs waking...

I just got a Keeley Mini Katana (the "free" pedal with the OxBlood/30ms pre-order). I had always had a hankering to try out a Boost pedal, there were times I felt I needed it while gigging. Specifically, my guitar (usually PRS P24 or PRS SE Angelus) has a nice piezo tone for strumming/arpeggios and other rhythm work when the volume is at 8-10 (ish). But when it's time for my acoustic solo, there isn't enough volume left on the volume knob to push me clear of the rest of the band. The Mini Kanata in stock configuration works brilliantly for this! I received it yesterday, installed it and took it to band practice last night, worked like a charm! It will be gigged tonight and tomorrow night.

If I have an "electric-rock'n'roll-type" solo with dirt, I don't have this issue, because I control the relative volume through my Boss LS-2, so when I switch modes I can get a boost on the dirty-electric side.

But the boost works well on the "electric" side too - we played a song at practice last night where I started out not in acoustic mode (so running through the electric/dirt side) but with the dirt off, so a clean-ish electric sound. Guitar volume knob at max gave a good sound for rhythm/noodling during the verses and chorus. But for the solo? Well, dirt was not appropriate for the song, so I kicked on the Boost, and Voila! A nice clean lead tone perfect for the song!

So a clean boost pedal does have its uses, IMHO. It is possible a particular person will never need them - perhaps they have mastered their volume knob and amp configuration better than me, or they have no need for a clean boost with the type of music they play - any boost can also be accompanied by a bit more dirt, so a TS or Klon or whatever might be the answer. Or just no pedals at all: straight from guitar into amp, the entire sound controlled by guitar volume and tone knobs, and picking technique.

But I believe I have a fairly wide palette of sounds I need/want to create, and I need to get there fast sometimes, so a clean boost is what I needed indeed.

LITHIUM

I have a ZVEX Super Hard On clone beginning of my chain and TC Spark Mini Booster end of my chain.
. SHO is always on to warm up the tone
. Spark is set to clean boost when needed

MemorymanDL

The EQD Arrows is a really nice boost. There is a slight shift in the EQ but it keeps everything from getting muddy and weird.

Serenity

Best boost i've had was the Zinky Master Blaster. Sadly sold mine when i was short of cash, and really need to find a replacement.

TheGuildedAge

I don't really like using my volume knob. I have a few guitars with and without treble bleeds, but the tone bugs me. I used to gig with a JCM800 and turn it down for cleans, but it never felt or sounded right. I could never get the clarity I wanted. So I switched to a 4 input Marshall on the edge of breakup and used overdrives and boosts to push it. I like it that way better.

A used Micro Amp is as good as anything. My favorite though is my Wounded Paw EQ/Boost. I love that pedal, it does everything, from clean boost to adding treble to shaping my drive pedals to tweaking guitars, tonally. Love it.

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
I use the Rockett Archer for this with the gain low and always keep it on to boost things. Works awesome.

kebotrans

Platinum Supporting Member
I really like the Greer Special Request. It does something magical lol! Love that thing

ummohyeah

You guys can spend all your monies, I don't care.

I'll keep mine.
"Clean boost" pedal.
Get outta here.
An EQ will boost the level of certain frequencies but not the signal in the same way a boost pedal will... I don't think you can cook the amp with just an EQ pedal, pal.

The purpose of a clean boost is to spike the amp, while keeping your tone. It works differently than an EQ oh and there's less knobs so there's that gee wiz.

But yeah let's keep recommending the OP things other than what they are asking for.

To the OP: MXR Micro Amp, or the Zvex Super Hard on for a tiny bit of hair.

I hope the OP found one already. The threads hitting 2 years old or so, isn't it? So many great ones. How about the Caroline Guitar Icarus Boost? I always liked that one. Skreddy DME and EQD Bows are my favorites of late.

I'm looking for a good clean boost pedal (with true bypass). Any recommendations?
The Keeley Katana (big version with 18v charge pump) is the "truest" clean boost I've ever tried in that it simply raises your volume LOTS without adding compression, any sort of EQ or even overdrive unless your amp is already near the point of breaking up. Problem is, that may not be what you want. Here are pedals I use as a clean boost in lieu of my Katana:

Keeley BD-2: Adds a scooped EQ sound in addition to a healthy output boost. With the gain rolled off entirely, you can get some John Mayer and Dire Straits type clean leads which you can't get from simply turning your amp and guitar all the way up. Simply put, it makes your clean tone sound "bigger" while staying entirely distortion-free. My idea of a "boost".

J. Rockett Archer Ikon: Like the Katana, it has an 18v internal charge which gives it an enormous amount of output. It's also capable of adding a ton of gain without adding compression. I personally would prefer more compression in a clean boost...Also the Ikon has a midrange character almost similar to a Tubescreamer, which I don't like because I feel like it rolls off a touch of top end, and turning the tone knob to make up for it just makes it sound shrill.

Xotic BB Preamp MB: Probably the 100th time I've written about this pedal but again, it's that versatile. With the gain rolled off and liberal use of the output knob, you can get a great clean boost from this pedal. What makes it special is its great EQ. It has high / mid / low knobs that work really well, unlike the other pedals. You can really fine tune whatever clean boost you need for your rig. If I didn't use it as my main OD, I'd be using it as a clean boost.

radioboyeric

No mention of the Pettyjohn Lift???
An amazing pedal. Buffer/boost all in one

The Keeley Katana (big version with 18v charge pump) is the "truest" clean boost I've ever tried in that it simply raises your volume LOTS without adding compression, any sort of EQ or even overdrive unless your amp is already near the point of breaking up. Problem is, that may not be what you want. Here are pedals I use as a clean boost in lieu of my Katana:

Keeley BD-2: Adds a scooped EQ sound in addition to a healthy output boost. With the gain rolled off entirely, you can get some John Mayer and Dire Straits type clean leads which you can't get from simply turning your amp and guitar all the way up. Simply put, it makes your clean tone sound "bigger" while staying entirely distortion-free. My idea of a "boost".

J. Rockett Archer Ikon: Like the Katana, it has an 18v internal charge which gives it an enormous amount of output. It's also capable of adding a ton of gain without adding compression. I personally would prefer more compression in a clean boost...Also the Ikon has a midrange character almost similar to a Tubescreamer, which I don't like because I feel like it rolls off a touch of top end, and turning the tone knob to make up for it just makes it sound shrill.

Xotic BB Preamp MB: Probably the 100th time I've written about this pedal but again, it's that versatile. With the gain rolled off and liberal use of the output knob, you can get a great clean boost from this pedal. What makes it special is its great EQ. It has high / mid / low knobs that work really well, unlike the other pedals. You can really fine tune whatever clean boost you need for your rig. If I didn't use it as my main OD, I'd be using it as a clean boost.
I'm looking for a good clean boost pedal (with true bypass). Any recommendations?

Trending Topics