Looking for good dirt pedal - gift for Dad

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lonely Raven, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

So my dad and I had our own little gear day. I showed up with my Trainwreck type kit amp, my Strat with Duncan Custom Shop EVH pickup, and some pedals.

I thought he'd like the Bad Monkey...for the money it's a great pedal, but once I turned on the Crunch Box, the Bad Monkey just got KILLED!

My Dad loved the Crunch Box because it was so live, sounded and felt like a good amp, but at livingroom levels through the little custom 5F1 I built for him.

I'd like to surprise my Dad with a pedal...something in the same price catagory as the Crunch Box, but *not* the Crunch Box...simply because we hate duplicating a pedal that one of us already has.

Since I don't do the pedal dance anymore, and the Crunch Box was a Christmas impulse buy...I really have no idea what's out there that's good!

Suggestions?

2. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Side note:

I also showed my dad the V-pick "fab four" set that I bought. I absolutely hated the picks...fantastic product, but for my picking style they were terrible...all you would hear was PLONK-PLONK-PLONK when I played.

My Dad felt sorry for me, joked about "my Sons been *had*". But then he tried the V-pick and was completely blown away by them. His tone changed, more meaty and midrangy. His attack sounded more consistant (without the PLONK that I had), he just loved the picks and was blown away by how they actually changed his tone. Neither one of us would have believed it if we only read about it, but we heard it and I saw it. He loves those picks!

So I'm glad they found a good home, otherwise they would have been an expensive curiosity in my pick jar. :)

3. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Fulldrive 2 Mosfet or OCD.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

What kind of music is he into, and what's his list of gear?

5. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Aren't those *twice* the price of the Crunch Box? As I said, I'm looking at same price catagory.

Yeah, good point Franklin. Sorry I forgot about more details.

He currently plays a '52 RI Tele that I've upgraded with Frailins, through a 5F1 type amp that I built, tweaked to have a bit more headroom and run through a 1X10" in a custom old oak cab. Typically he uses a Sans Amp for dirt, but the Crunch Box ruined him on that pedal.

As for music...typically bluesy-rock-sometimes-country. Hell, I've even walked in on him playing AC/DC on the Tele and really having fun with it. I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone about him playing Christmas songs late one night when he thought nobody was home. :)

6. Neer

Neer Member

Nick Greer Ghetto Stomp

7. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Barber's pedals would be a good match, I think.

8. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Hmm, I've heard good things about those.

Do they fall into the $100 range used? That's the hard part. The Crunch Box v2 can easily be picked up for under $100. In fact, I got mine for $75. :)

9. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I would suggest a Barber Electronics Direct Drive. Affordable, versatile and EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. KBN

KBN Member

I haven't ever played one, but the MXR Distortion III seems to get some good reviews. Used they go for $50. New they are $80.

11. hbentley

hbentley Member

yeah, in that price range, barber is hard to argue with. i know he one of the ltd versions for 99 shipped recently.

12. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Barber LTD

13. utterhack

utterhack Member

+1 on the MXR Distortion III, with a couple of caveats

- it's not as booteek, so may feel less special as a gift
    - it's def. not as gainy as the CB

Does play and sound great though.

14. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Given your limited price range, I also have to recommend a Barber pedal.
    Direct Drive, LTD, or perhaps a Small Fry. The Small Fry is very versatile and he gives several useful settings on his instruction page from Blackface to Tweed, Santana and Dumble tones to higher gain British sounds. Lots of excellent tones in that little box:dude

15. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

Look for a used LM308 Rat on e-Bay

16. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Woodrow! Big bang for the buck in my opinion. More lively than the crunchbox. And it cleans up better too