Looking for good mic cables.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by amper, Feb 2, 2005.

1. amper

amper Member

I need some new mic cables for my new studio, and I've finally reached my limit with Monster. Whatever else Monster may or may not be, they make a pretty good cable, even if their products are way overpriced. But $70 retail for a 20 foot mic cable? I'm drawing the line--no more Monsters.

So, any suggestions for good mic cables that won't break the bank? I've been using Audio-Technica's for live use, so I may get a few more of those. I'm looking to stay away from generic or house brand cables.

I need say six or eight cables 20-30 feet each.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Buy a few hundred feet of Canare Starquad, some Neutrik ends and have at it. You can even get them all different colors!

You'll get no audible improvement by spending any more money.

Loudboy

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I have a lot of Canare Star Quad, and the Mogami equivalent, which is a bit more flexible. Same sound.

Oddly enough, I heard a tiny difference with not very expensive Blue Cranberry cables with my Kiwi.

Tiny. I'd have thought it was my imagination, but the reviewer in EQ heard something similar.

Not worth making a fuss over, but audible if you listen carefully. Probably some kind of capacitance thing unique to Blue mics.

4. saros141

saros141 Guest

Why four conductors + shield? Lower noise?

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Supposed to cancel out the EMI by keeping the conductors at close to right angles at all times.

A lot of guys actually prefer the Mogami W2549 ( 2 conductor). I'm not sure if EMI induction across the conductors is even a issue with the low currents involved. The capacitance seems to be a big factor in the sound.

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I like the Cranberry cable as well. I have a bunch of the BLUE cables - the colors make them easier to sort out on the floor, honestly, that's why I got them.

Never had the patience to make my own cables. George L's on the pedalboard even taxes my limits sometimes!

--chiba

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I have a couple of Mogamis and they're very good cables, expensive, but I can't honestly say I hear any difference between them and plain old ProCo. I don't know why you want to stay away from "generic" cables, whatever you mean by that, but ProCo are bult very, very well – good components, assembled well – and they have a lifetime warranty. Sweetwater sells them. They've replaced two out of maybe 75 cables over an 8-year period, never any hassle, they just ship me a new one as soon as I hang up the phone.

8. straticus

straticus Member

I like the Blue Kiwi (green) cables. I think I paid about $30 / $40 each for 20 ft'ers.

Nice, well made, great sounding mic cables.

BC

9. heinz

heinz Guest

I like B.L.U.E. Blueberry cables, not only because it's decent cable, but it's reasonably priced. Plus it's blue.

But also cause the cable is slightly tacky cable and doesn't slink off my overhead stands and put tension on the mike connection. Some people hate tacky for this same reason (cause it's harder to wind back up), but if I put a cable up I want it to STAY put against the stand and not yank on the mike.

10. amper

amper Member

Well, I broke down and picked up a Mogami Gold 25 footer for $49, because I need to do some work in the studio this weekend. I wish I felt comfortable enough with my soldering skills to make my own, but I don't, so I'll probably end up ordering some cables from Bayou. His copy seems impressive enough. I'm just too rusty with the iron, myself--it's been years since I had to make up cables.

11. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

I make my own cables as well. I have Mogami and Canare Quad cables. However, I only use those for short runs. I've been advised ot keep those cables at 15 feet or under and personally, I like to keep it at 10 or under.

I also have used Canare L2T2 and Mogami 2549 and the thinner 2552 ( I think) and all sound good. However, Canare cable has a braided shield that is a pain to unwind whereas the Mogami isn't braided.Canare is more durable if you don't mind undraiding the cable.

Evidence Audio Lyric HG cable is phenominal if you want some of the upper echelon cable.

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I've used 100 ft. of Mogami in a live situation and it was like it was five feet away. Perfect in every respect.

These are all good suggestions, and I believe good mic cabling is important, but IMO with balanced cables it's more about durability and solid construction than it is about sound, because the differences in sound are microscopic to the point of irrelevant, IMO.

I think what really matters more than anything is songwriting, arrangement and production, which we never talk about here! :)

BTW the reason I don't make my own cables is because (a) I don't have to, and (b) I have the fine motor coordination of a pile of bricks.