1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for great leslie sound from chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by duaneallen, Jun 29, 2006.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I realized that I don't like leslie simulators (esp. Line 6 rotomachine). I hear that the others color your sound as well. I think that a good analog chorus or vibe should do the trick. What do you guys recommend for a chorus or vibe that does a great leslie simulation? Thanks.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I recently bought (and returned) the much touted RT-20 Leslie simulator.

I found, like you I think, that I was getting a much richer, and to my ears, basically the same effect with a vibe AND a chorus!!

I've used several combinations, but just to mention two, I used my Visual Sound H20 (has a chorus AND an echo. The chorus is great because you control speed, depth, AND width!!!) chorus side, combined with either a Mojovibe, or a Fulltone Deja-mini-vibe. Either one. A cool thing too, it comes closest when the vibe is set to chorus also, but as an extra, if you set the vibe to vibrato another cool mix of effects is born!

To me it sounded WAY better than the RT-20. Much better presence, rich sound, and again, to my ears sounded about the same, effects-wise.

The H20 also has two outs, so you can run it to two amps and really get the Leslie thing going.

I just bought a few other choruses, and though I haven't had the time to play with them much, the Guyatone Mc-3 sounded damned nice, and I bet would go well with a vibe.

It seems to me the trick is either using two choruses set differently (I haven't tried this, it is just a theory), or chorus + vibe (also set to chorus), another thing worth a try might be chorus + tremolo, OR chorus + vibe + tremolo :)

But again, specifically Both of these sound better than the sims:

H20 + Mojovibe
    H20 + Deja-mini-vibe

3. fatback

fatback Member

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

The best chorus pedal I used to get a fast spinning leslie sound is the Analogman Chorus!

6. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

The new Visual Sound H20 does that also...

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

I bought the H2O last year after ditching both my Rotosphere and DLS Rotosim. I was deeply disappointed that it didn't sound like my Rotosphere (well, duh) but looking back, it actually did sound pretty good. Should've kept it. In fact, I thought the H2O chorus with the rate up sounded very similart to fatback's video clip. It's no Rotosphere, but it's nice.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

Arion SCH
    Small Clone

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I use the SCH-Z. Its not perfect but does the trick.

10. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I agree with Lavaman and Phil, you can use the H2O to get some decent Leslie tones. Have you ever tried a Korg G-4? I have one of those and so far it's the only Leslie sim I've fell in love with (please note I haven't tried the RT-20 in all fairness). You can really tweek the tone on the G-4 and dial in some very tight or smooth Leslie tones...

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

+1 Yep!

12. Mike K

Mike K Silver Supporting Member

This is my opinion as well. 2 knobs are easy to change between songs and it sounds superb (IMO). I've been using one for several years and have no desire to look elsewhere. BTW, it replaced my ChoralFlange, no problem.

13. jgyn

jgyn Member

For that sound I use an old DOD 690, with AC cord. It has a switch where one can 'ramp' between slow and fast.

14. Doug

Doug Member

Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus does a good leslie IMO.

15. erksin

erksin Member

I recently had the chance to demo a grey box Arion SCH-1 vs. my DLS Chorus~Vib for those Leslie/Vibrato tones - the Arion was cool and sounded quite good, but not a big enough difference to knock the DLS off my board.

16. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

If you sag the voltage down, the VL Analog Chorus goes from a decent, but plain leslie to a really really really good leslie sound. IMO, the warble gets thicker and has enough dimension to become musical - at regular voltage the leslie is kind of one-dimensional.

17. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

ill second on the AM clone...

i have the Bi-Chorus which is cool because you can have a slow and fast speed on the fly. a very cool pedal, seems a tad pricey, but not after you get it

18. fatback

fatback Member

I agree with folks that the AM Bi-Chorus will get you close to a leslie sound and is a very versatile pedal. I've had one to demo for the last week and have been very impressed. That three-way switch really changes the character of the pedal, giving you 3-times the tones to choose from.

With that said, if you only need a moderate to quick leslie sound, without chorus or multiple speeds, then the Whirligig is still tops in my book

19. Matt F

Matt F Member

+1 on the DLS Chorus~Vib

Just picked one up last week. Love it. Had two other pickers try it and I think they both might buy one for themselves.. Great pedal.. Better than expected.

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use a Retrosonic Chorus, sounds pretty good for a fast Leslie.