Looking for guitar instructor in the Phoenix Area

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by glaswerks, Jul 5, 2006.

1. glaswerks

glaswerks Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone know of any decent jazz guitar instructors in the Phoenix Arizona area. I am looking for one for my son Travis. I have found it hard to find an instructor that can actually go beyond a few basic scales. Looking for an instructor that can go beyond the basics and teach modes, how, when, where and why to use certain scales, chord subsitution etc etc etc.

Thanks for you help.

Gary

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

Although it certainly DOES help to have an instructor. There are some REALLY good books at www.jazzbooks.com

Chris

3. gennation

gennation Member

I just did a full-length tutorial on some "common sounds found in jazz".

It covers many forms of substitutions: Diatonic, b5/Tritone, Diminished, etc...

It also covers arpeggios, modes of the Melodic Minor scale, H/W-tone scales, Whole-tone scale, chromatic connections, reharmonization, motifs, etc...

Also at my site is a great ground up approach to Interval, Chord, Scale, Modes, etc...Theories.

Check it out...30 years of serious playing, over 20 years of teaching...they're free and desinged for people to "get it".

http://lessons.mikedodge.com

I hope they are of some help to you/your son.

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

You could try going to some of the local jazz spots and ask some of the musicians there. Or ask the local music store guys where they would go for advanced lessons, tell them you have a freind that is a good jazz player looking to move further.

5. countandduke

countandduke Member

How long has your son been playing??? There's SOOOOOOO much stuff available free on the internet. If you find a really good jazz musician, they usually (but not always) require a fair degree of efficency in the potential student.

Good luck....

Chris

6. glaswerks

Thanks for the information. I will pass the site information on and have him give it a go.

Gary

7. glaswerks

Not a bad idea. I will give it a try.

Gary

8. glaswerks

He has been playing for about 4 years now (he is 17) and has progressed mainly due to the internet. He listens to a lot of Larry Carlton and Robben Ford.

He was talking lessons a couple of years ago but asked to quit when he felt he wasn't learning any new information. At that point he was learning "songs" note for note and he said he could do that for himself.

There were a couple of good sites posted on this thread and I will have him check them out. I will also check out some of the local jazz clubs and see what I can find out.

Thanks for all the help
    Gary

9. countandduke

countandduke Member

Also check out berkleemusic.com

There are several dvd's available to the public which I think almost every musician can benefit from. Everything from modal guitar playing to ear training. Excellent and well put together dvd's IMOP. You can also take online guitar courses.

Also check out www.guitarcollege.com

Rich is a cool guy with great courses.....

Chris