looking for guitar synth sound ideas.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nightfly27, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Hey folks,

I'm looking for suggestions for a pedal that will help me sound less guitaristic, and nothing can be too obscure. Currently, I use an Arion Chorus for leslie stuff on comping, and this works great, but now I want something a bit less pitch-modulating to sit next to it on the pedal board.

What do you stomp on when you don't want to sound like a guitar no mo'? Ferinstance, while using the search function, I found that the new Line6 Verbzilla pedal has a mystery "Octo" mode. Cool, I'll check it out... And if I remember correctly, my brudder once had a Boss multi-effects pedal thingy that when misused correctly, would give a decent approximation of Pat Metheny's early synth sound. Gawd I loved that!

Any ideas? Thanks!

NF

2. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

MuRF
    Ring Mod
    Robotalk

3. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Thanks BMF! The clips of the Murf sound way cool. Expensive tho, and big. Still, its on me list. The Robo and other ring mods are a little "burpy" for what I'm after - I think maybe I need something a bit more legato...

NF

4. HHB

HHB Member

Digitech has a synth- wah pedal that looks like it offers a lot of sounds for the money, get a pwr supply cause the new digitech go through batteries like crazy

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Electro-Harmonix Micro Synth for Guitar ( or Bass if you like the extra low-end www.ehx.com has clips )

Studio Electronics Chaos (a synth-like distortion/fuzz that changes timbre as you hold notes www.pedalgeek.com sells them)

Studio Electronics Filter ( www.pedalgeek.com )

Moog Murf ( Amazing pedal )

Moog Low-Pass Filter ( www.moogmusic.com has some great sound clips)

Keeley Nova Wah ( with some fuzz and distortion it can make some very UN-guitar sounds but at some extremes it sounds louzy with chords )

And if you already have some texture effects like Chorus, Phase and Vibe don't fogot to play with them with your tone rolled off on your guitar and/or with a Wah and then run them with a Delay at strange settings with lots or barely any repeats (short delay time with lots of repeats yeilds awesome sounds) into a fuzz or distortion... Just try tons of things like that as well, you can get some truly amazing synth sounds out of pretty regular effects if you fool around long enough. Hope this helps. Also, try effects in different orders, for some of my cool synth sounds I go guitar->dealy->phaser->distortion/fuzz->clean amp which is almost the complete reverse of how lots of people run their FX-Chain.

-TJK

6. CapSized

CapSized Guest

This may not be exactly what your looking for but you should check out the Boss GT-8. It has a lot unusual effects like Sitar simulator, wave synth, hamonist, pitch shifter, octaver, auto riff phrase generator and you can combine these with the GT-8s more common effects like chorus, delay, reverb, phaser, flanger, univibe, etc for some cool and unusual sounds. On the down side you'd be paying for the GT-8s amp & speaker sims which sound awful IMO. I'm currently debating wether to replace mine with a rack effects processor or not. Unfortunatly I can't find a rack unit that does all of the unusual stuff the GT-8 does (except the GT-PRO, but its twice the cost and still has the same crappy amp models).

7. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

There's nothing like the Roland VG-8(8), trust me. There are sounds in it like you never heard before. And all are polyphonic and react beautifully to your playing. Forget the Les Paul-Marshall-emulations.

David Coffin makes some absolutely insane patches.

The only downside is the lack of a digital output, but there's a mod.

8. covert

covert Member

The old Digitech Space Station pedal will get you pretty far away from guitar sounds.

9. Amit

Amit Member

+1 for the Roland VG8!
    Needs a dedicated pickup (polyphonic) but its worth it if you like this stuff:)
    The pickup will also let you use guitar synths like the GR family or drive a Pitch To Midi converter with any synth you like.

Whole new world of sounds, some what a stip learning curve but nothing can touch it.

10. ck3

ck3 Member

... and it may need to be a separate one. My Synth Wah has been prone to create ground loops when daisy chained.

Other options not mentioned up to now:

Akai Deep Impact
    Most Alesis Modfx processors
    Alesis Ineko & Akira
    Various Tim Escobedo fuzz projects (D.I.Y.)
    Various Effector 13 pedals
    Various 4ms pedals
    All Mid-fi Electronics pedals
    LAL Rattle Crow
    Lovepedal Fuzz Daddy
    Lovepedal Wall of Noise
    Yamaha Magicstomp I & II
    Boss DR-5
    Dave Smith Evolver
    Zvex Fuzz Factory & Fuzz Probe
    Boss Pitch Shifters
    Digitech Whammy
    MXR Blue Box

11. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Wow, thanks a TON guys, this is exactly the list I was hoping to compile. I think I'll start with smaller boxes that can be fed by my Pedal Power. I really like the vibe of the EH Micro Synth, its 24V, so I hope it can work with 2 of the VL PP's 12V outlets summed together.

So much here, this list is going in my wallet for future reference, thanks!

NF

12. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

if you have a synth pickup/mid converter, the Dave Smith Evolver or Polyevolver is the most responsive sound module from a guitarist perspective that I've ever tried.

Another great way to get a Metheny esque synth tone is with a Vigier Surfreter (fretless guitar) for the brave.

btw, I'm wearing a pimp hat on this because we sell both, but I'm speaking from the heart as a guitarist.

Andy

13. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I just listend to the samples of Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos... that sounds "sorta synthy". I would love to check one of those out.

14. gulliver

gulliver Member

A simple answer, guitar tone control all the way down, amp treble control way up. With my setup, it sounds very moog.

15. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

16. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

17. thesooze

thesooze Member

EHX Hog. Nuff said.

18. enocaster

enocaster Member

+1 on the EHX HOG, it's good for complex sounds.
    Micro Synth for more simple, nasty sounds. Any reverb pedal that will do 100% wet is good, too.

19. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Less guitaristic, but not too obscure? Hmm... that's still kind of vague. What kind of sound do you want? More like a violin, a trumpet, a sax, a Minimoog, or...?

Various thoughts:

Pat Metheny's early and still current synth sound is the Roland GR-300. It does not seem to be easy to find though in the used market. For reference, here's a vid of the guy using the real thing:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BzfbsoCTplA

A nice little demo of the real thing by somebody (without ever playing a guitar!!!):
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eu64tLEbn4I

The new Roland VG-99 includes a GR-300 model. I tried it a bit at Guitar Center and it sounds pretty good. The VG-99 has 4000 parameters, so I think you can tweak it enough that the sound will be yours and not Pat's. These 3 vids may be the only thing online you can find demoing the VG-99's synth capabilities at the moment. Like it's great-great-great-etc-grandfather the GR-300, it can make all those synthy sounds without MIDI:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=roland+vg+99+synth&search=Search

I have a VG-99 on order. If and when I get around to recording demos of it, I'll post them here.

20. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Anybody played through a Smith Evolver? ...or used it with a roland pickup and guitar to midi converter?