1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for guitar tech in SoCal

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by retro, Nov 5, 2005.

1. retro

retro Member

Hi,

I'm new to SoCal (Malibu) and looking for a good guitar tech to work on my guitars. Mostly set up on some strats and one refret.
    Where would you bring your strat or electric guitar to have work done?

Appreciate any leads...thanks,

retro

2. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

For the last 10 years I've been using Tina Wood out at the Amp Shop in Sherman Oaks. She's at 818-817-9566. She's done 2-3 refrets for me and all were great!

Lately when she's too backed up I'll use Brett or Norik at Norik Renson Guitar Repair in North Hollywood on Moorpark and Colfax. They both worked at the infamous Valley Arts Guitars back in it's heyday. Don't have the number handy, but they should be listed. If not email me and I'll get it to you.

I also know a few guys like Greg V here, that use Toru(?) over at I believe Wilkins Guitar Finishing in Van Nuys. They swear by him.

If your in a jam, the guys over in Thousand Oaks at Insturmental Music aren't bad for simplier stuff. They are an authorized Fender repair shop. That's not to far from you considering your in Malibu. I'm not far from you either and I've gone over there in a pinch.

3. retro

retro Member

Cool thanks a lot....

....I will check them out.

Appreciate it...

retro

4. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

+1 for Tina. She has done great work on a couple of my guitars (on Andy's recommendation :D ).

Other than her, I'd highly recomend Rodney at Fret Tek. He's in Westwood. He's done 4 of my guitars, 2 of which I got Plek'd. He did great work on all of them.

Fret Tek

Rick

5. retro

retro Member

Awesome,

Thanks much Gomez and AndyZ! Part of feeling at home is knowing where a good guitar tech is ;).

retro

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Jim Foote, MusicWorks, Lawndale, Ca. 310-379-5194

Class A work, and more reasonable prices than the Sunset Blvd. techs, too.

7. retro

retro Member

I certainly appreciate the recommendations....
    For some reason the name Jim Foote sounds familiar.

Again thanks.

retro

8. Michael Tuttle at www.bestfrets.com. he just refretted my les paul and all i can say is WOW!

9. landru64

landru64 Member

it seems most of pro colleagues use either norik or eric chaz (eric's guitar shop) http://www.ericsguitarshop.com/. roger sadowsky pretty much exclusively recommends these guys to his clients out here.

10. I had eric's guitar shop do a partial refret on my les paul a while back and there work was great as well but I am happier with best frets.

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Any good value techs in the Orange County/south LA area? I gotta get all my guitars reintonated for Eb :D

12. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

Paul at Guitar Remedy off the 55 at 4th st. is really good. Also, I've had work done by Tom at TR Guitars in Tustin. CB Hill is the in-house guy at Rockit Music in Brea and he did a setup for me a few months ago that was spectacular.

hope this helps...
    -c

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

awesome, thanks for the references! Any info on prices? One guy by my place charges $125 for a standard setup...thought that was a bit on the pricey side? I do know Rockit Music, guess I'll make some phone calls too. Thanks!!

:RoCkIn

14. ronin32

ronin32 Member

CB Hill did a set up on my Taylor 110 and its great, the action is nice and low, charged like $55 for it, planning on buying a Strat at Rockit and having him set it up for me before I take it home. Def. would recomend him.:BEER

15. justicetones

justicetones Member

OK +1 for Paul at Guitar Remedy. He refretted my 78 tele along time ago. Awesome job.

Also, anyone at Truetone music in Santa Monica. They have done all of my setups, and Feitenized all of my Electric Guitars including a 1990 Ultra Strat with that crappy sounding(IMHO) Roller nut system they attempted. They had to fill in the Ebony behind the nut location and you can't tell. They did an awesome job and are reasonable in price for the quality of work given. Everytime I am in there I see
    well known faces and that says alot. :)