Looking for high gain metal pedal that can be dialed back for versatile tones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jupiter Tarts, May 6, 2015.

1. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

So after hanging out with a couple of guys that are real metal heads, I'm gassing for a nice high gain metal pedal to learn pinch harmonics and shredding with. Mind you, I've never really played metal and won't very often but shredding just looks like a ton of fun as does the sheer satisfaction of just chugging power chords in drop D.

However, not being a fan of waste and one trick ponies, I'd like a recommendation for a pedal that can do metal as a specialty, but can be dialed back into a good fuzz pedal. My only other distortion pedal is a pigtronix aria disnortion which does some fuzz and low gain well but nothing in the metal territory. A distortion that can cover the remaining basses of what the pigtronix won't would be nice.

Just as a heads up, I use a Mesa lonestar classic and run a bogner harlow before it as a clean boost compressor to keep the clarity. I'd go to guitar center myself to try it out but part of me is a little embarrassed since I don't know any metal riffs. Once I youtube a few, I'll definitely try out the recommendations in store.

Cheaper the better but I'm open to all options if they're good and versatile enough to cover the pigtronix aria's territory and kick it off the board. Recommendations so far are the MXR Fullbore. I've personally wanted a Bogner pedal, either the Red or the Burnley but I'm not sure if they'll get high gain enough. Possibly the Zvex Fat fuzz factory but I hear they're tricky to dial in.

Bonus points for being two channel distortion so I can go classic Marshall to insane Blackstar levels depending on what I need.

2. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I use a Wampler Pinnacle for exactly this - high gain, but by simply turning my volume knob it clean sup beautifully on the fly. If I have more time, than simply turning off the boost and down the gain its can become more like an overdrive. Extremely versatile!

3. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

The Bogner Ecstasy Red will deliver enough gain for your needs (it turns my EJ Strat into a metal machine) and it cleans up beautifully.

4. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

I'll check out the Wampler Pinnacle if I can find it locally. My Guitar Center happens to have a ton of pedals actually. I'll definitely be sure to try the Red also and A/B it side by side with the Burnley. I was leaning towards the Burnley due to the new neve transformer and the amount of space it'll save in the pedalboard (I could keep the aria on their too for lower gain), but I may snatch up the Red if I like it and can find a good deal.

5. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Bogner Ecstasy Red. Pricey but worth every penny! Will fit your needs perfectly, it goes from warm woody overdrive to searing high gain and there isnt a setting I have found that is less than amazing and inspiring to play through.

6. popvulture

popvulture Member

It may sound a bit unorthodox to some (and make perfect sense to others), but I think a highly tunable fuzz can do this sort of thing very well. For example, I really wasn't expecting this, but my Skreddy Lunar Module can get some pretty damn crushing metal tones. Of course many if not most fuzzes have tons of gain on tap, but the low end is often squishy and loose. The Range and Body knobs on the LMMD can really tighten things up and solve this problem, and I've dialed in some really awesomely brutal but controlled Mastodon type stuff that totally surprised me. And of course it also does the great thing that fuzzes often do: it cleans up really nicely, whether just lowering the fuzz knob or playing with your guitar volume knob (the better option IMO).

So anyway, thought I'd throw that out there as an alternative to conventional high gain distortion. Something like the Fuzzhugger Doom Bloom might also be an option in the same vein, but I personally haven't played one yet.

7. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

I've got a friend who complained about the same thing and his big muff, too squishy and easily lost in the mix. He stacks a fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet with a big muff and gets the precise tone he wants. Would you recommend stacking my pigtronix aria disnortion with a fuzz? It's got a built in EQ that'll let me crank the lows into a fuzz of my choice. Of course, best way to find out is to try it out. In terms of fuzz pedals, really eyed those black arts pharaoh pedals but they just never seem to come up used.

8. JimHalinda

JimHalinda Member

Mesa Flux Five? Check out the demos on their site. Straddles hard rock and early metal (80s) very well, I just bought one. I will mostly use it for classic rock, but it'll breathe fire when I want it to! The 5 band graphic eq makes it very versatile.

9. Serenity

Serenity Member

I'd suggest the Pinnacle too. Also, Emma Reezafratzitz is well worth a look, and so is the Wampler Sovereign.

10. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

There's another thread on the blackstar lt distortion pedal at gc for $55 . Sounds like a pedal worth trying.

11. Jupiter Tarts

Jupiter Tarts Member

Funny that you mention it. I actually immediately noticed that thread while refreshing this one so I jumped on the deal and bought one. Everything about the Blackstar pedal lt just about fulfills my criteria: 2 channels, high gain and versatile enough for low gain with its second channel, and crazy cheap. Heck, except for that lime green color, on paper it looks to be perfect. Of course, how much I'll like it depends on how well it'll play with the other pedals on my board as well as the guitar and the amp.

Everything posted here will mostly be for my future records because seriously this tgp, no one here has just one distortion pedal :dude

12. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

13. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

I second this. Easily dial in boost, overdrive, light distortion, heavy distortion, and by flipping on bright and boost and running the mid knob full ccw, you get big mid scooped type fuzz

14. beexter

beexter Member

15. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I picked up a used Keeley Metal Zone that covers a lot.

16. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Amptweaker makes the best high gain pedals. Look into the Fat Metal or the Tight Rock.
    The tight metal is awesome but a bit more extreme.

Also I would suggest the Dr. Scientist The Elements. You can get pretty much anything out of that pedal., and the high gain tones are awesome.

17. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

18. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Another vote for the Wampler Sovereign.

19. Serenity

Serenity Member

Can't believe i forgot to add this one to my previous post, Weehbo JVM Drive.

20. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I use a wampler triple wreck for metal tones and can dial down the gain for nice distortions. It nails the old Metallica sound IMO.