Looking for high-gain OD with tons of bottom

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Backwards Logic, Apr 21, 2014.

1. GTBJ

GTBJ Member

MI Megalith Delta or Tube Zone. Both over $200 new, but you should be able to pick up a used TZ for less than $200.

Both killer pedals.

2. guitardudeness

guitardudeness Member

Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Can pretty much emulate a bass if set right. Has tons of gain, versatile as hell, and thick as bullhyde. The bassi-est pedal I've ever used outside of an octaver. A wall of balls.

3. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

Yepp the Swollen Pickle I had was bassy as hell! Not sure if it was the amp I was using at the time (Mesa Lonestar 4x10 Special) but it also had this harsh trebly buzzy sound along with the balls. Made me get rid of it in the end...

4. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Mesa throttle box - Wampler Triple wreck are high gain pedals w/ a lot of bottom end.
    The Caveman??? is NOT high gain (imo) but has a lot of bottom (too much imo)

5. chaseblissaudio

chaseblissaudio Vendor

ZVEX box of rock has tons of low end.

6. mannyc

mannyc Member

if he's interested, for $50 more i'll sell him a bogner ecstasy red. has an added boost channel with dedicated volume and gain knobs.

7. MelMann

MelMann Member

I have one called the Megalith (no delta, is this the same pedal?), with a bass boost switch. Silly amounts of bass, you should try it.

8. JargaPix

JargaPix Member

Thanks for the info folks. I was struggling to get a high gain gone from my Mesa DC5 and finally realized I wasn't going to get the Recto sound without getting a Recto. That's not something I really want to do just yet. I read this over and walked into my local guitar center to browse their used section and found this guy for $199. I traded some pedals and stuff in and got it for $75.

[​IMG]

Sounds huge through the DC5. I think I can still tell it's a pedal but damn it's nice and cheaper than another amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

If you can dig one up on eBay or other places, JD-10, that EQ is super effective. Huge bottom if you dial it up.
    [​IMG]
    You can usually pick it up for $120'ish, set to high gain, kick in that cab sim switch then dial in EQ, totally high gain Mesa swampy'ness.

10. Mothman

Mothman Member

Yep, ditto this. Especially if you're looking for chunky gain. For smoother, I might suggest the Black Arts Pharaoh in germanium clipping mode.