Looking for high gain suggestions!!!

BluesHarp

Ive tried many high gain pedals. Right now Im using a JHS Angry Charlie for a jcm 800 evh brown sound. It was perfect for humbuckers but I have sadly sold the Les Paul to buy another strat and a tele.

So.. im looking to get a great high gain tone with singles and I have narrowed my parameters down in hopes to get some informed and helpful
suggestions from some of those you who have tried MANY of the best high gain pedals and either have the same tastes and/or other similar amps/guitars.

Recently bought, the emma reezafrtazitz 2... the AC were actually similar as brown sounders, but im returning the reeza as it didnt work for me.

I was looking for:
Something with a bit less background noise without a noise gate. Mad professor one sounded great but it gated sooo bad.
I need low and high end controls.. I lean toward a very tight and minimal low end.
Natural high end is a must ( even at high gain ) and cant stand anything in the trebles or presence squeaking or brittle. I returned the Elements for this reason.. but the Reeza does the same, but not as bad. The AC has a very natural high end.
The AC has more gain than the Reeza.. need plenty of gain for harmonics to jump out.

I could get the reezafratzitz 2 came "close" to the AC in a brown sound flavor.. but on the reeza I could not dial out the sub freq low end, even with the bass knob dialed all the way down.
Also the high end presence could not be dialed out until the high end tone knob was almost completely off/ccw.. which made the mids muddy.

( Im just happy that I have a 14 day satisfaction guarantee to return the ReezaFratZitz! Paid $249. )

Are there not any high gain pedals out there that have low end adjustments ( that will pull out ALL the lows if needed ) and high end adjustments that have a natural sound without that " chirping/squeezing two glass marbles rubbing together" sound?

I dont want a metal head banging chug a chug pedal.. just a natural all tube sounding high gainR.

Ive tried the Pinnacle, Riot, Plextortion, Openhaus, OCD, Crunchbox, Fetto, Elements, Red Hot Dyna Red, and many others I cant remember.

I need LOTS of gain! Complete low end control, a natural high end, and it doesnt have to be brown sound.. although I
dont want anything metallic or harsh. I want mids.. not a scooped out bass and highs rock tone.

Looking for some of you guys who have owned many of the best pedals and who play through either a Marshall or Fender amp.

( my amps are a Germino Club 40, Fargen 40w Blackbird and guitars are a rosewood strat w lollar dirty blackface pickups and a maple neck strat w Klein 1965 pickups )

I know im needing high gain humbuckers to really pull this off.. but is there something out there that will work with strats and single pickups??

Last edited:

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
Ive tried many high gain pedals. Right now Im using a JHS Angry Charlie for a jcm 800 evh brown sound. It was perfect for humbuckers but I have sadly sold the Les Paul to buy another strat and a tele.

So.. im looking to get a great high gain tone with singles and I have narrowed my parameters down in hopes to get some informed and helpful
suggestions from some of those you who have tried MANY of the best high gain pedals and either have the same tastes and/or other similar amps/guitars.

Recently bought, the emma reezafrtazitz 2... the AC were actually similar as brown sounders, but im returning the reeza as it didnt work for me.

I was looking for:
Something with a bit less background noise without a noise gate. Mad professor one sounded great but it gated sooo bad.
I need low and high end controls.. I lean toward a very tight and minimal low end.
Natural high end is a must ( even at high gain ) and cant stand anything in the trebles or presence squeaking or brittle. I returned the Elements for this reason.. but the Reeza does the same, but not as bad. The AC has a very natural high end.
The AC has more gain than the Reeza.. need plenty of gain for harmonics to jump out.

I could get the reezafratzitz 2 came "close" to the AC in a brown sound flavor.. but on the reeza I could not dial out the sub freq low end, even with the bass knob dialed all the way down.
Also the high end presence could not be dialed out until the high end tone knob was almost completely off/ccw.. which made the mids muddy.

( Im just happy that I have a 14 day satisfaction guarantee to return the ReezaFratZitz! Paid $249. )

Are there not any high gain pedals out there that have low end adjustments ( that will pull out ALL the lows if needed ) and high end adjustments that have a natural sound without that " chirping/squeezing two glass marbles rubbing together" sound?

I dont want a metal head banging chug a chug pedal.. just a natural all tube sounding high gainR.

Ive tried the Pinnacle, Riot, Plextortion, Openhaus, OCD, Crunchbox, Fetto, Elements, Red Hot Dyna Red, and many others I cant remember.

I need lots of gain, complete low end control, natural high end, and it doesnt have to be brown sound.. although I
dont want anything metallic or harsh. I want mids.. not a scooped out bass and highs rock tone.

Looking for some of you guys who have owned many of the best pedals and who play through either a Marshall or Fender amp.

( my amps are a Germino Club 40, Fargen 40w Blackbird and guitars are a rosewood strat w lollar dirty blackface pickups and a maple neck strat w Klein 1965 pickups )

I know im needing high gain humbuckers to really pull this off.. but is there something out there that will work with strats and single pickups??
Hey man, sorry the Reeza didn't work out for you. As I often do here, I'm going to chime in with my other standard high-gain suggestions: Weehbo JVM and Bastard. Of the two, the Bastard might be a better fit for what you describe. Huge low end, tons of gain, reasonably quiet for a super-high gain pedal. Both that and the JVM should have plenty of mids, and the JVM Drive will give you lots eq options on the mid frequencies.

Also worth checking out is Amptweaker's new BigRock Pro, which was just announced at NAMM.

As an alternative, I'd also say that a good EQ can help a lot. I've got an Empress ParaEQ, and it's a miracle worker for shaping my high-gain tone.

Personally, I use a JVM Drive with either a JHS Bad Monkey or Keely TS9DX stacked into the front for a bit more saturation ... though the JVM's got plenty on its own. I also use the Empress on the back end for a bit more toneshaping.

Both the Weehbo and Amptweaker lines are pretty spectacular.

ken374

Bogner red/blue will get that tone, I tried the 5150III combo today not sure if I like it. Seemed kind of thin not very warm next to my set up, the dynamics were real good but not much warmth as mine.

jchan

These choices are all very subjective and dependent on your gear and music preferences. With that said and your requirements to work with single coils, 2 pedals you may want to check out are 1) white face RAT and 2) Xotic SL drive. Both have good midrange, get plenty of gain, don't have excess bass and cut great in a band mix. Not many high gain pedals I have tried can meet all those requirements. Good luck finding a pedal that works for you. Fortunately there are many choices these days.

larsbars

EQD Talons - Just a great sounding and very, very versatile pedal
EQD Monarch - will stack great with any other dirt to get into high gain territory
Black Arts Quantum Mystic - naturally a darker sounding pedal, but the 3 band EQ works wonders
Mojo Hand Socrates - Never tried it, but I love rats, and this one has bass and treble controls

Hope this helps!

Hey man, sorry the Reeza didn't work out for you. As I often do here, I'm going to chime in with my other standard high-gain suggestions: Weehbo JVM and Bastard. Of the two, the Bastard might be a better fit for what you describe.
The Weehbo Bastard was EXACTLY what I was going to recommend. If I needed a pedal with that much horsepower, that's the one I'd pick. Ridiculous amounts of gain, yet manages to remain sweet sounding in the high end.

BluesHarp

How does it compare to the Mastiff?? ( both made by Wheebo and both high gain, but the Mastiff is British inspired )

The Bastard says Low End Distortion, but can you dial out all the bass if needed? I dont like a lot of bass with high gain pedals.

Last edited:

BluesHarp

Also.. how does Catalinbread DLS mk3 ( I own ) compare to the Xotic SL?

In amount of gain?
Lows? Mids? Highs?
Overall character?

BluesHarp

Im trying to stay with a single sized pedal.. no wider than the Reeza but preferably the standard single pedal size.

Thats not to say I wouldnt love the red.. I plan on trying one at the local guitar center.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know if it has enough gain for you, but the Subdecay Super Nova Drive sounds great (to me) and has a 3 band EQ. Very versatile. There aren't very many YouTube demos, but Bobby Devito did one in which the pedal sounds can be heard pretty well, that will come up if you Google the pedal.

Spawn

Also.. how does Catalinbread DLS mk3 ( I own ) compare to the Xotic SL?

In amount of gain?
Lows? Mids? Highs?
Overall character?
I have both. I wouldn't characterize the SL as a high gain pedal. With buckers it might get you in the ball park, but not with single coils. I have the DLS set in SB mode which sounds best for that low gain Marshall crunch.

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
This is one I have my eyes on.

Have you tried the Mastiff? I like the idea that it is a british flavor but does it have the same amount of gain on tap as the Bastard??
The Mastiff is kind of an outlier in the Weehbo line, it seems. I'm sure someone has owned one, but you see a lot more reviews and feedback on the JCM/Morbid/JVM/Bastard. Not sure I've ever actually seen a Mastiff review.

I think the Bastard is the highest-gain pedal they make. It and the JVM are pretty similar. I think the Bastard is a tad bit more modern, while the JVM Drive has a bit more Marshally stuff going on. I had them on my board both simultaneously, and, really, I didn't think they were that far off or that the Bastard was enough different to justify keeping both. The JVM was a tad thicker to my ears.

If space is an issue, the Bastard is really tiny.

Also, Brett Kingman just demoed the new Anarchy Audio Esquilax EQ, and he used a Weehbo SLO Drive as his base drive in the video. Like almost everything Brett does, it sounds fantastic.

Someday I'll learn how to post YouTube vidoes. Until then, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6rhizZuSOE&list=UUBHoPcJMiFe6CuVY2X7I0YQ&feature=c4-overview

Here's my favorite JVM Drive demo by Harry Maes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF-dsIktXVA

I must have listented to that one a zillion times before I bought mine.

petrip

I really like my OKKO Dominator after owning Suhr Riot, Super Crunch Box and couple of others...

Trending Topics