Looking for high sustain/gain amp, not Rectoverb 25 or Marshall dsl50

BMX

I've recently started to get into high gain amps so I'm still a newb on these. I'm looking for a sound that can do the high gain zz top stuff as well as more modern sounds. So far I've tried the Rectoverb 25 (sounded small to me) and the DSL50 (not refined enough, also not enough compression/sustain...still dig this amp for other stuff).

Any other ideas? I'm thinking another Mesa? Also, I'm only interested in heads. Prefer 50 watts or less and under $1000 used.

protest

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa Mark IV will be at the top end of your budget, but will be smooth and refined, and have plenty of sustain and a liquid feel. It has a solid master volume even when run at 85 watts, but can be knocked down to well below 50 watts by using the pentode/triode and class A/simulclass switches, and the Tweed power setting.

Reactions: BMX

ccoker

Silver Supporting Member
Soldano Hot Rod 25
normal channel for dirty clean to crunch rhythm and OD channel to sing for days.

And plenty of balls to hang live with other guitarists

cardinal

If you're just starting with high gain stuff, I'd try to play some of the classics and see what you think. If you're patient, you can find any of these under $1,000.

Don't worry about the wattage. They'll all sound fine at lower volumes (as well as any 50 watter would, at least):

1) Mesa Dual or Triple Recto (not the mini ones, the big ones. They sound much better IME)
2) Mesa Mark III, IV, or V
3) Marshall 2204 or 2203 (the DSL is a fine amp IMHO but these are on a whole new level)
4) Peavey 5150 (or 6505, same thing)

Go ahead an grab an SD-1 and/or an OD808 while you play them to send the amps over the top. If you don't like any of these, you probably just don't like high gain amps.

Oh, and be mindful of the cab. I'm not one to uniformly bash as piece of gear, but a brand-new Marshall 4x12 with G12T-75s will make any amp sound horrible. Try to play these amps with just about anything else.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Soldano Hot Rod 25
normal channel for dirty clean to crunch rhythm and OD channel to sing for days.

And plenty of balls to hang live with other guitarists[/QUOTE

Was gonna say this but above his price I think

Trending Topics