Looking for HSH w/Floyd, <$750, ideas?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by theelectic, Jul 25, 2005.

1. theelectic

theelectic Guest

It's been a long time since I went shopping for a shreddy type guitar, but I've got the itch to try one out again. I'm looking for a hum/sing/hum pickup guitar with a Floyd Rose trem, under $750 (and preferably under $500) so an Anderson or Suhr is out. Anyone have ideas for new production ones, besides Ibanez (I've looked at various RG series) and Carvin? Or any gems to look for on the used market?

2. memberzonly

memberzonly Supporting Member

Valley Arts Standard Pro?

3. zube

zube Member

Godin Freeway Floyd

$500 USD

4. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

A model 6, set neck or a Model 4 for a bolt on. These are really nice guitars, provided you do well with the thin-flat-wide neck profile. Pretty cheap on the bay..

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even realize Godin made a Freeway with a Floyd. It's hidden on their website!

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

imo, you'd be crazy to buy a new shredder when there are so many bargains to be had in the used market.

You can buy an '80's/90's Hamer like a Diablo, Chapparal or Centaura for less than $500 that will be head and shoulders above anything new in that price range.

Maybe an older Ibanez RG.

If shred is your thing, you can pick up a great quality guitar for peanuts if you look around.

7. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Gosh, there are so many good '80's shred guitars to choose from!
    The MIJ Charvels are excellent choices, the Model 5 is a personal favorite of mine. The entire Model series is high quality.

Also, if you can find one, the Charvel 750XL is a killer guitar, kind of a cross between a Les Paul and Jackson Soloist.

Some pre-Samick Valley Arts can be found cheap, and are quite nice.

BC Rich made some decent USA super Strats that were pretty good, and can be had reasonably as pawn shop prizes.

Kramers. The Focus series had real Floyds and ESP-made wood parts, and can sometimes be found dirt cheap, just add good pickups. The higher end Kramers have Duncans, even though the wood parts were all made by either ESP, LaSiDo, or Sports.

Fender HM Strat, the later ones had real Floyds, and usually are relatively cheap. Real wide necks, remind me of old Charvels.

Ibanez, they made zillions of them and can be found on the cheap if you look around.

If you get lucky, you may stumble onto a USA San Dimas Charvel or SD or Ontario Jackson in your price range.

8. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Exactly what I was thinking! I haven't had a shredder since the early '90s when I was first learning to play (a low end Ibanez RG something or other.) Your post and Lex's have been very helpful, thanks guys :)

BTW the Godin that zube mentioned, run $400-425US (depending on finish) in my area! Dang that's a lot of bang for the buck!

9. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I don't know if anybody already mentioned but a Ernie Ball music man Silhouette (old ones) will have that price range and features, plus one of the best necks. I got rithg now one in layaway in teal color. Love it....

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Just a heads up, there are a couple of Hamers f/s in the emporium

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93436

No connection to seller.

11. Tchello

Tchello Member

Valley Arts Standard - Very good Choice
    Charvel model 5 - Cheap, original Floyd, don't like the pickups
    Kramer Focus - a real bargain
    Ibanez JEM 555 - The entry one
    For me the best one is a Valley Arts, excelent guitar, very good craftsmanship, a little hard to find.

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

Ditto, I had one in the '80s that just sounded great.

13. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey theeclectic,

You want one of these:

[​IMG]

1990 Hamer USA Chapparal Elite 90

[​IMG]

1994 Hamer USA Diablo II

I sold off my 2 Ibanez RG-570s when I got these guitars. Hamer USA guitars rule and if you can find either one of these, get them!!

Guitar George