Looking for Hygrometers- HELP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dontstop611, Sep 26, 2008.

1. dontstop611

dontstop611 Member

Last night my hygrometer said 68%. I examined my Taylor, and the front and back had swollen like the pics you see on the internet with the caption- don't let your guitar do this! :eek:

I checked out my Collings acoustic, (which I keep in the case with it's own hygrometer) it was fine. My heart rate returned to normal. I moved them both to my basement (60% believe it or not) and tuned up my dehumidifier as high as it would go. This morning my Taylor was fine. Thank God. :drink

I'm going to buy small hygrometers for my hollow and solid body electric guitars, but I'm having trouble finding small ACCURATE hygrometers.

I'm looking for a small hygrometer to fit in my guitar case. It seems most are +/- 5% of so. This seems a little inaccurate to me. Can anyone recommend a hygrometer? (Radio Shack doesn't have anything) What is the most accurate hygrometer you've found? How often have re-calibrated your hygrometer? What else do you know about hygrometer?

2. russ

russ Supporting Member

Wow!
    Where do you live?
    I have the opposite problem here in Colorado.

3. geetarman

geetarman Member

I use Oregon Scientific Hygrometers and they work great. I have three satellites that I place in each of my acoustic guitar cases and I keep the base unit on my desk so that I can check the RH% and Temp. anytime I want without opening the case.

4. dontstop611

dontstop611 Member

5. weeladdie

weeladdie Member

6. go7

go7 Member

Planet waves makes a small accurate one.