1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Ideal Amp (Deluxe Reverb?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Redeye5, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:46 PM.

1. Redeye5

Redeye5 Member

Hello! Long time lurker. I've seen plenty of good advice on here over the years and thought I'd see what you fine people have to say about my predicament.

A little background: I play blues. Not what SRV and Joe Bonamassa call "blues", but subtler, sweeter, kind of jazzier, blues. Don't get me wrong. I dig the rockier side of blues too. I will squeeze out some spank now and again. Overall, think Wes Montgomery and Peter Green and Freddie King and The Black Keys for style and range of tone.

I play a Les Paul through a Blues Jr. By raising the Volume/Gain relative to the Master Volume, it "growls" for lack of a better term. It doesn't really sound gainy per se, I guess it's what people call "break up" or "overdrive". Anyway, I love it. Phrases sound smooth and powerful and minor chords reminiscent of Kylo Ren's lightsaber. Just the right amount of snarl.

I'm considering upgrading to a Deluxe Reverb '65 Reissue. The more "present" tone is much more pleasing to me and the reverb is simply luscious. But the problem is it doesn't have a Master Volume to dial in the growling tone I love so much pretty much whenever I want (at any volume I choose). Apparently the only way to do that is to crank it. But I don't need to set off any car alarms here. While that would excuse playing even louder, I really just need a good tone when practicing in my room at low to moderate volumes. Is an attenuator the best way to go or is there a better route?

My ideal amp would be a Deluxe Reverb excluding the tremelo stuff and including a Master Volume like my Blues Jr. What can you recommend in this regard?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 11:51 PM
    Gaspode likes this.
  2. Purpletele

Purpletele Silver Supporting Member

I recommend the Dr. Z Z-Plus.

The amp has wonderful cleans, but can adapt to many different tones. 12-15 Watts with a half power option.

It's a very cool multi functional tool.

3. meterman

meterman Member

4. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

Interesting, I was going to suggest the Dr Z Cure.

5. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Supporting Member

I would be looking to try the Mesa Fillmore 25.

FenderBigot likes this.
  6. AK1016

AK1016 Supporting Member

3rd Power's American Dream or their Wooly Coats Spanky, Bad Cat Classic Pro 20R, or Bad Cat Classic Deluxe are all worth checking out! :aok

7. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

There are many builders making boutique blackface clones:
    3rd Power, Achillies, Allen, Gries, Headstrong, Lil Dawg, Louis, Marsh, Magic, MojoTone, TopHat, Vintage Sound

Some of them have masters, and if the builder does custom work,
    you can request a master even if the standard model doesn't have it.

Also, please be aware that an actual Deluxe Reverb has a bright cap on the reverb / vibrato channel that many people get rid of. It's easy to remove. The normal channel (on the left) doesn't have it.

8. Gaspode

Gaspode Member

Hey Redeye5, I think I love the same tone as you. I am playing a '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb with a Vemuram Jan Ray Pedal. For my Les Paul, I put the Gain at about 7.30 clock, in any case, under 9 clock. For my ears, it just sounds great at low volume. It will not be much different with a Deluxe Reverb '65 Reissue.

9. neteraser

neteraser Member

If you never had a DRRI, this is your chance.

But the reply should been just:
    Deluxe Reverb

10. Gaspode

Gaspode Member

For my ears, the bright cap is perfect with a Les Paul (not with a Strat).

11. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Good call.

I'd be doing the same.

Coli likes this.
  12. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

Allen Accomplice - Deluxe Reverb style amp with no Trem, and it has a Master Volume, Middle control, and RAW control.

Or, Deluxe Reverb with an OD pedal.

13. elicxirmixer

elicxirmixer Member

If you love your Blues Jr, not sure why you want to upgrade.

That said, I have a Blues Jr and a DRRI. The JR is my backup home practice amp, and the DRRI is what I gig with. I'm happy with both of them. The DRRI will break up some at band volumes, but I use pedals to get it to sound sweet at the appropriate volume (mostly the Prince of Tone). IMO, pedals will get you there, but you could also look into an attenuator or less efficient speaker.

You'll get a thousand opinions here. I would recommend taking your guitar to the music shop and start plugging in. People on Craigslist will generally let you plug in and test drive too.
    Good luck.

candid_x likes this.
  14. douglas225

douglas225 Member

My rec, and rather inexpensive these days on used market, get the drri and a weber mini mass, which you can leave hooked up and situated in the back cavity. Done. Now you now have a master and you can simply bypass it when playing live (or keep it and shave only a few dbs).

If you want higher quality attenuation at very low levels, you can change out mini mass for bad cat unleash. It is great, but prob overkill for your application.

15. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

I own the Deluxe Reverb (hand-wired edition), Hot Rod Deville 2 x 12, Hughes & Kettner, etc. My favourite amp for Blues licks is the Blues Jr. I have the red and black one with the upgraded speaker. My advice is to stick with the Bjr and maybe upgrade the speaker. You're not going to get the same growl from the DRRI. The only other suggestion is to consider the Blues Cube Artist. It has what you are looking for and sounds like a tube amp.

16. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Yep... was going to suggest this too. I checks off all the OP's boxes. :aok

17. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like you need the Carr Sportsman with a 12" speaker.

18. jackpotjewell

jackpotjewell Member

The fender supersonic 22 is a deluxe reverb with no tremolo and a gain channel

AndyBurns and FenderBigot like this.
  19. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

20. Franklin

Franklin Member

Maybe a Hot Rod Deville or Deluxe?

I use a DRRI and have an always on pedal for gain at any volume. Well I actually have THREE on all the time.

1) My Zendrive set to very low gain @ unity gain on the volume. This adds a little more gain and midrange to my clean tone.

2) My Sunface fuzz is really more for my "dirty clean" tone. With the fuzz and volume up high and the guitar volume rolled back to "clean" I get a lot of dynamic range with my pick attack and can crank up the volume to get as dirty as I want.

3) The other always on pedal is a clean boost/volume pedal at the very end of my chain. Since the DRRI has no master volume I use that to crank the amp to @ 7 and dial back the volume on the pedal so I can get those power tubes working. I loose some of the spongy compression I like this way, but oh well.

I will also kick on an Analogman modded SD1 for more gain and/or volume for solo boost.

So go test run a DRRI