Looking for Jim Hall solo to transcribe

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by cantstoplt021, Mar 27, 2015.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

I have an upcoming assignment for a jazz improv class where I have to transcribe 32 bars or 3 choruses of a blues from a jazz player. I've been listening to Jim Hall quite a bit lately and I'm pleased to say that I'm finally finding a jazz guitarist that I really dig. Wes and Grant Green weren't really doing it for me for whatever reason. Is there a good solo from him that isn't too hard that you'd recommend? A blues would be preferred. I do have experience learning from ear so it doesn't need to be super simple, but I also don't need it to be too hard.

Suggestions welcome.

2. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

I did this exact lesson at my JC a few years back.

Thought not a blues, I chose Jim Hall's opening solo on I've got you under my skin, from Intermodulation with Bill Evans. Because:

-it's always been one of my faves by him

-because it's only guitar and piano, you can hear every note well

-not too chops-heavy

-I could sing it, still can

A blues by Jim Hall? There's got to be a bunch. He's not really my go-to guy for jazz blues. Maybe dissect some of the weird angular phrases from 'Careful'.

3. StanG

StanG Member

He is on a record with Art Farmer. I can't think of the name, but there is some blues on it. should fit your bill. Art Farmer is another guy who is very clear, logical, and not chops heavy. Maybe you two will hit it off?

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've probably transcribed more of Jim Hall than any other guitarist I can think of.

One blues I did was "Blue Monk" from the Village West Ron Carter duo record. It's got a lot of his trademark abstractions and a quote from 'Round Midnight'...if I'm remembering that right

5. cameron

cameron Member

Give a listen to the album "The Bridge" by Sonny Rollins. Maybe one of Hall's solos on there will interest you.

It's worth listening to anyway.