• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looking for low gain OD pedal

chrisjnyc

My Dano trans OD is dead... looking for another low gain OD pedal, but nothing to expensive. Something like a clean boost, but a little more grit.

Any ideas?

Jules-RM

Barber LTD SR would be a lot more in line with what you want, it's flatter EQ'ed. You can find them for under $80 used, usually.

Get on the list for a Tim or Timmy $129/$169 is hard to beat. The aforementioned Barber offerings are great too. I had and loved the Small Fry (it does it all too). They're usually $100 +/- used.

Edit: forgot to add for $40 the MXR classic OD at GC is well worh it. Try one and see. A really TS9 for Dano prices.

JackStraw12

How about the bad monkey? Does that do low gain OD?
It can, but I didn't like mine when I owned it as it was far too shrill-sounding for my ears.

I'd recommend a Signa Drive, incredibly versatile. You could pick up a FDII mosfet for around $110 in most cases too.

Bluedano1

I Have a Dano TOD v.1 (still fine) but I also have my buddy's Barber LTD (regular no SR) and IMO, nothing sounds as natural (as in guitar>amp EQ) as the LTD. It has an intangible that neither my TOD nor my BD-2 (at low Gain) have, and that is perhaps the ability to thicken a clean tone with clean output (power) adding detail, with just a little bit of breakup. As Barber said about the LTD (paraphrase) "Imagine the increase in tone you get if your go UP a string gauge..." That's not a bad description if you follow it thru: thicker strings >more string output>pickups>amp...the LTD acts the same way. Dynamic

The LTD does not produce as much Gain (at higher Drive settings) as that of the Dano, nor do I think the LTD's Drive sounds good (just me!) past about 1:00. But put it there and crank the Level a bit, and is fantastic, for those of us that like our clean amp tone.

Painasusual

An LTD quite good, but a lacks some sizzle. Boss BD-2 makes a great boost when you keep the level up and gain at zero. Wampler Black 65 is spectacular if you like vintage fender tones.

ahcleinad

Some lower priced options that I really like are the VL Sparkle Drive and the Blues Driver. Sparkle Drive is nice since it has the clean knob so you can blend the signal.

However, as mentioned above the Timmy is hard to beat.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom