Looking for mid-level overdrive pedal

Benjam226

I'm new to the message board, so forgive me while I get my bearings, but I wanted to get some advice from the other "gearheads" out there.

I currently have 3 drive pedals on my board (not counting my Line6 M13, which I use for mods and delays mostly, the drive models aren't much to listen to.)

I have Barber LTD that accomplishes my low gain needs, when I need my clean signal dirtied just a tiny bit, very transparent pedal, love it.

My Tonebone Hot British Distortion has the balls, it's my High-Gain Marshall/Plexi pedal.

I even have a Hartman LM308 Op-Amp Distortion (boutique Rat clone) that can get pretty harsh and dirty, but not in the warm, tube-like way the Hot British does.

I have long been looking for something that can fill the gap. Something in the middle of the road that can give me more gain than the Barber LTD, but not to cold and harsh like the LM308/Rat or over the top like the HB. This pedal would be something that I would plan on using for the majority of the music I play (alternative or pop/rock mostly, acoustic rock stlye also, such as Matchbox Twenty, Goo Goo Dolls, Vertical Horizon, etc).

I've been thinking about checking out a Fulltone FullDrive 2. I've heard nothing but good things, and apparently a lot of big names use it. But I wanted to get some feedback first.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks!

wildshoetwt

all i know is my barber burn unit eq is the best pedal i own, it does everything from low gain blackface tones to all out marshall rock

Heady Jam Fan

Never owned a barber OD, but always liked them (had the tone press). Great company. I like to think that you can sometimes get away with a medium gain into a low gain to get high gain. Sometimes keeps the rig smaller, if that helps.

cnicholson06

I've heard the new Keeley Overdrive is EXACTLY like that. You should check it out. Also the Xotic Effects BB Preamp would also get you there. There are more but that's what I'd get if it were me.

Toe

You should also consider that you can stack another low gain pedal with your Barber to achieve mid-level overdrive. A very popular choice on this board (and also mine) is the Catalinbread DLS for this application.

Catoogie

I use an MXR Micro Amp in front of my other drive pedals, it gives me an additional gain stage for each pedal.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
The budget option is an Allums modded OD3......but it doesn't stack well.

Bobby D

mad professor SWEET HONEY overdrive from the CB series would be a great choice, and is only $169 new. it's a great overdrive pedal for anyone tired of the typical TS808 sound......

barber small fry...

There is a dual barber pedal...2 channel...Barber Half Gainer...which is basically 2 ltd's and a mid pot...I set mine so one is a low gain (think ltd with drive at 11 oclock) and the second gannel I max the drive for a mid-gain tone...

Dirtybender

Rockett Animal fills that role very well for me. I liked it so much I bought Blue Note as well (also great). Both are transparent and open but can get meaty as well. Liked them more than my DLS.

weshunter

Gold Supporting Member
i don't think the FD2 is what you want. The timmy is pretty versatile, you might want to give that a shot before you try anything else - it might be what you need for the mid level OD or replace one of your others and move it to the mid level OD - hard to imagine a pedalboard that couldn't find a good use for a timmy

YETI

Timmy or OCD.... But a SHO if front of that LTD to push it just rocks!! I use that combo a lot.(I use a SHO clone)

freaksho

Silver Supporting Member
if you like your LTD, you should just get a Direct Drive. I think the FD2 is too compressed for what you are after.
well he didn't say anything to suggest he needs an especially dynamic pedal, he said mid gain & warm tone. that is right in the FD2's wheelhouse and it's absolutely a good contender imo.

mad professor SWEET HONEY overdrive from the CB series would be a great choice, and is only $169 new. it's a great overdrive pedal for anyone tired of the typical TS808 sound......
i have the FD2 and the Sweet Honey on my board. the FD2 is indeed less dynamic, but also much more smooth & warm. though it's also very versatile and can be set to be quite open sounding too (with the 3 mode toggle switch). the Sweet Honey has more bite with very little control over the tone, and i don't know if it has any more gain than the LTD he has - does it? i've never tried an LTD but i get the idea it occupies the same gain category as the SHOD.

btw, to the OP: are you saying the the LTD doesn't have enough gain for you at it's highest settings? or just that you keep it set for low gain and need another pedal for quick access to mid gain? 'cuz maybe another LTD is all you need. just a thought.

screamingduck

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm new to the message board, so forgive me while I get my bearings, but I wanted to get some advice from the other "gearheads" out there.

I currently have 3 drive pedals on my board (not counting my Line6 M13, which I use for mods and delays mostly, the drive models aren't much to listen to.)

I have Barber LTD that accomplishes my low gain needs, when I need my clean signal dirtied just a tiny bit, very transparent pedal, love it.

My Tonebone Hot British Distortion has the balls, it's my High-Gain Marshall/Plexi pedal.

I even have a Hartman LM308 Op-Amp Distortion (boutique Rat clone) that can get pretty harsh and dirty, but not in the warm, tube-like way the Hot British does.

I have long been looking for something that can fill the gap. Something in the middle of the road that can give me more gain than the Barber LTD, but not to cold and harsh like the LM308/Rat or over the top like the HB. This pedal would be something that I would plan on using for the majority of the music I play (alternative or pop/rock mostly, acoustic rock stlye also, such as Matchbox Twenty, Goo Goo Dolls, Vertical Horizon, etc).

I've been thinking about checking out a Fulltone FullDrive 2. I've heard nothing but good things, and apparently a lot of big names use it. But I wanted to get some feedback first.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks!
I think the Fulldrive II is exactly what you need. You have the transparent thing going with the Barber LTD so having a Tim or Timmy would just be more of the same. I had a Timmy for quite awhile and it is a great pedal. It is also a (rightfully so) favorite of TGP so whenever someone asks for overdrive suggestions, it is guaranteed that the Timmy pile-ons will undoubtably follow.
I have had my old FDII probably longer than any other drive pedal I have (and I have tried ALOT of drive pedals!) I just keep coming back to my trusty old FDII. If you want more transparent dirt you can use the Comp/Cut toggle. The FM is Flat Mids which is cool. I prefer the Vintage setting which is basically a boutique Tube Screamer which would fit right into your current setup. Also, I prefer the non-Mosfet Fulldrives as I feel the older ones are voiced a little lower whereas the Mosfet tends to get a little high-endy , at least with my single coils into blackface Fender rig.
The FDII gives you alot of tonal options with the CompCut, FM, and Vintage and also the Boost channel which is basically just a higher gain option for whichever toggle setting you choose.
Good luck in your search and welcome to TGP!!!

Trending Topics