Looking for my next acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by markl, May 17, 2019.

1. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

Eastman’s are great bought 2 422ce’s Music and Arts models solid spruce rosewood ebony boards for an astounding low price because they were floor models and they were blowing them out Great guitars period. Sold my Taylor 314ce because the Eastmans just sounded better and I hated the expression System.

Fret-O'File likes this.
  2. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Those lower level Guilds are rather sweet for the money. Going with used you could easily score a D25 or even something fancier that would smoke most guitars for the kind of money.

Rod likes this.
  3. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Used Alvarez Yairi always good value.

Rod likes this.
  4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

My immediate thought as well.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

My first Martin was/is a Grand Performance DX series. Great tone for what it is but a bit boomy cause of the bigger body....I’m very partial to Martin’s tones and playability when set up correctly. I found this 000 Auditorium Cutaway 16 series. All solid Rosewood Spruce ect. Came from Chris Guitars, Albany NY....used $1050.. he has another in stock as well.. perfectly balanced tones and size. Best purchase I’ve made in a long time.... Just a suggestion

6. Shadowfox007

Shadowfox007 Member

You could look at the Yamaha A3M. Dreadnaught with Hog back/sides. Also have a concert style (AC) and a rosewood version (AC3R, AC3M, A3M, A3R).

7. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

As usual, many of the posts do not speak to the OP's criteria: warmer, louder. I think the Eastman mentioned is a good choice for these purposes. Taylors -- no. Who thinks of Taylors as warm? They're fizzy and bright. Martins? Mostly no, but it depends on the model. A Mahogany top is unlikely to give you good volume except as an exception. Old Gibsons are exactly what you describe, but the good ones are too expensive now, and the mediocre ones (most of them) are pretty dead. The new Taylor Grand Pacific models -- a new direction for Taylor -- are right on spec for you, but cost a fortune. I don't like the fact that Eastmans are made in China -- the irony of a classic American instrument being made half a world away makes my head spin -- but I think it's your best options. All the other makes, such as Alvarez, Yamaha, etc., are not, IMO, all that good, period, compared to Martin and Taylor and Eastman. You might find a used D18 that isn't too mid-scooped.

8. Fret-O'File

Fret-O'File Supporting Member

You cannot go wrong with an Eastman E10-OM or an E20-OM.
    I've owned a dozen Eastman acoustics over the years and all but two were amazing guitars and the two that weren't were still good just not up to par with the rest.
    I will never sell my E20OM as it's a special guitar that sounds and plays beautifully.
    Check out my Youtube page in my signature for a few E20-OM videos.

9. jklotz

jklotz Member

Just wondering - did you find something yet? Can we expect a NGD post soon?

10. markl

markl Member

Yup, I got a Taylor 214e DLX Sunburst. I did post an NGD but it was a little lame because I can’t post pictures. Loving the guitar though!

mysterious1s likes this.
  11. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

Great guitar, I personally own one but wont find one in the $1000 range.

12. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

Really nice guitar for the money. I played one the other day and loved it. I much prefered the non cutaway version over the cutaway version for tone.

13. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I gig solo with a couple of GA Taylors: A GA Custom Mahogany and a 414ce. Both are outstanding! The Mahogany is definitely warmer though. The 414ce cuts like a knife.