Looking for my next Dr.Z what would you choose???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RJM/rydog2223, Mar 9, 2008.

1. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Heylo! Just picked up a MAZ Jr. and I am floored! I have been after this amp for a couple of years and finally got one. Anyways I'm after another flavor in the Dr.Z camp and this is what I'm thinking so far....

Stang Ray[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Prescription ES

Mazerati(GT)

Any other suggestions?? Owners of the above amps please chime in with pros and cons. Thanks in advance for the help!!
    :RoCkIn
    [/FONT]

2. benttop

benttop Member

What are you trying to do with it? Louder/softer/MoreGain/LessGain... what?

3. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

A little more clean head room than my Jr. but has some "hair" on it when you crank her a bit.
    :crazy

4. m1911

m1911 Member

My Favorite three Z's are MAZ Senior, MAZ Junior, and Rt.66

5. mockoman

mockoman Member

The Z28 sounds killer. I'm a Maz Jr NR owner meself.

6. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

What would the Z28 be compared to?? Any MAZ tones in there??

7. benttop

benttop Member

Well if you like the Jr and just want more of the same but with more clean headroom, it seems the Maz Sr. might be worth considering.

I have all three of the candidates you listed. Here's my take on all of them:

Stang Ray: Best cleans by a mile. Running into Alnico Blues or Alnico Golds, there isn't anything that I've ever played that can touch it for clean. But it's a very clean amp - has some mild crunch when it's wide open, but that's about as far as that goes. This amp is really loud through the Alnico Blues! Takes most of my pedals great. Loves the Zen Drive and BB Preamp!

Prescription ES: Also has a load of clean headroom, but you can also set it for medium crunch or a real saturated solo sound. Having the 3db boost is a cool feature and that adds even more saturation. So this is a real workhorse of an amp. It too is very loud - 45 watts! Fat bottom, and bright top on this one - not a midrangy amp like the Mazerati GT.

Mazerati GT: Highest gain amp the Doc makes. Very limited tone shaping, but the tone you get is "THE TONE" if you know what I mean - lots of thrust in the midrange on this amp. This amp is wide open by 9 o'clock on the volume, and just gets more saturation as you raise the volume control. I usually run my volume at about noon and then roll the guitar back to 3 for cleans, up to about 6 or 7 for crunch, and wide open for solos. Amazing tones from this amp, but still a one tone amp.

I use an attenuator for all three of these because they are all too loud to play without - no master volume on any of them. The Stang Ray comes standard with an effects loop, but the RXES and GT do not.

Hope that helps a little bit.

8. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Thanks for the awesome tone report! Is the Stang Ray the only class A out of the Dr.'s amps?? The Prescription sounds nice but I have been gassing for the Stang Ray. Who knows!!:confused:

9. LittleC

LittleC Member

I just went though the same thing and ended up with a MAZ-38 SR (w/reverb).

I moved from a Route-66. That's not really true, I guess. I still have the Rt-66 and I love it. It's just that I wanted a little more clean headroom and the SR is it! Now, I'm set.

As a matter of fact, I might be letting go of my Carmen Gia soon. But the 66 and SR are here for good!

10. Peppy

Peppy Member

What about the new 6L6-based Z? Should fit in quite well with your needs.

11. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

The Galaxie?? I played one and it was ok but I don't know it just didn't tickle me fancy. I do like the 2 channel thing. Little C tell me more about the Gia if ya don't mind.

12. benttop

benttop Member

Actually, all of the Doc's EL84 amps are cathode biased. I think we can probably all argue about whether that's class A or not, but cathode bias is a fact. :) All of the amps you mentioned so far are EL84 based amps.

13. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

I'm not to good with a lot of tube amp lingo. What does cathode bias mean?? Does it mean you can put any tube in there and not have to re bias the amp?? I noticed on the Dr.Z site that in the description of the Stang Ray they mention class A but none of the others in the description from what I saw. I'm confused??
    :confused:

14. benttop

benttop Member

If the Doc wants to call the Stang Ray "Class A" who am I to quibble? But it's a term that engenders a lot of confusion and rightly so.

Cathode bias means exactly as you've stated it - you do not have to bias the amp when you put in new power tubes. Often cathode bias and Class A are said to be the same thing, while other times that is disputed. You can read up on it, but you'll walk away shaking your head and wondering why you bothered... :)

I will say this about the Stang Ray and the Mazerati GT - they both use a Ken Fisher designed output transformer. That is one of the reasons they sound so amazing.

15. mockoman

mockoman Member

The cliched comparison is 'a Deluxe Reverb on steroids', but it's a lot thicker & creamier than any DR I've heard.

16. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Listen to some suggestions but before you buy be sure to try some out . I strongly recommend against buying any amp on hype , only your ears will tell you which you prefer .

17. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Thanks for all the info so far!

18. Chadley

Chadley Member

I have used a Z28 head for my main amp for several years now. I have also used a Carmen Ghia, Maz 18, and a Route 66.

The Z28 is the most "Fender" sounding Z by far. That has a lot to do with the 6V6 tubes of course. I run it into a 2x12 cab loaded with a V30 and 30 watt Weber 12a125.

It can sound somewhat like a tweed Fender but a lot more hi fi to my ears. The tone is very "thick" and just dripping with harmonics. You can often coax notes into feedback at very low volume levels. There is nice low end that never gets flabby or out of control and enough sparkle on top for just about any application. I do sometimes where there was a middle tone control. This would make it a lot more versatile, but the simplicity of the circuit is what is responsible for the great harmonics.

You get clean headroom up till about 10 o'clock on the dial, depending on where the treble and bass knobs are set (which sort of act as as gain controls). With the tone controls acting like they do, you are actually able to dial in quite a few sounds with a little experimentation.

I have been working on a CD project lately. We finished up one of the tracks and transferred it to a really nice studio to lay down vocal overdubs. There was one part of the song where I triple stacked this cool melodic clean part using my strat and Z28. The engineer love the tone and said that it was some of the best clean tone he has ever heard!

19. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

That sounds like a sweet freakin amp! Thanks for the info! :RoCkIn

20. fixed

fixed Member

I have the RxES and Z-28, and have had a Mazerati and Carmen Ghia. The Z-28 is a must-have amp IMO. I doubt I would ever part with it and I don't think I can say that about any other amp I have right now.