looking for new amp under $750.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by forced4dr, Mar 18, 2015.

1. forced4dr

forced4dr Member

I have seen some awesome recommendations come out of similar posts so I am hoping you all will grace me with tour wisdom.

Some of my favorite bands that are similar to my style are:

Silverstein
    I the Mighty
    Four Year Strong
    Coheed

Budget for amp head $750

All I have in my area for shopping is a poorer than usual Guitar Center. So I'm buying w/o trying:-/

I wanted a Mesa Stiletto ace head but can't find one.

Amps I'm considering but reluctantly.

Egnater Tweaker 40 or 88
    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
    Mesa Express.

I need channel switching and an effects loop.

I am open to other options as well. What are your suggestions?

I own a Peavey classic 50 I like the openness of the sound but the drive tone is not quite where I want to be.

I have a generation 1 peavey xxx with el34s. The sound is right but muffled sounding no matter how I eq.

I have a line 6 spider cab with h celestions and an egnater tour master 412.

Thanks for your help.

2. forced4dr

forced4dr Member

3. rotlung

rotlung Member

Your ears are deceiving you. That amp is well over a grand and are being blown out right now. It will fit the style perfectly and its lightyears beyond a Tweaker. Bad Cats, even the Chinese made ones are solid amps.

4. Slevin

Slevin Member

Bad cat cougar owner here and it's amazing. You'll spend 400 on a 1200 dollar amp and it's only 400 dollars because why buy a Chinese made bad cat for that price when you can get a used Marshall jcm 800 or a new fender or a few dr z's for that same price. The cleans are unreal, the dirt side is great for what you want as well. Don't knock it because the YouTube vids are all terrible

5. Robert Sands

Robert Sands Member

You're not familiar with Badcat? No disrespect but did I read that right?

6. forced4dr

forced4dr Member

Thanks for the advise everyone, you've got me thinking about the Bad Cat hard.

Yes, the retail market for music stores is very soft here in Connecticut and my local Guitar Center is worse than even other surrounding locations.

With no outlet to try things that leaves me not knowing many more niche brands.

I know the main brands Marshall, Mesa, Fender,Orange, Peavey. Outside of that, not so much.

7. joeprs

joeprs Member

You can't go wrong with Bad Cat, even the Chinese made ones.

8. althekiller

althekiller Supporting Member

When I was chasing Coheed tones and couldn't afford the Bogner stuff they were using at the time I ended up with a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and a Mesa Stiletto Deuce. Both amps that were used by the band for the first two albums and Travis (lead player) used a Stiletto ACE combo on the Neverender DVD box set that I have.

I can say that the Stiletto got very good Coheed tones and had everything from super clean to all out gain. Takes a bit to dial that amp in well but when you do it is an amazing and underrated amp. They can be found around your budget if you buy used.

The other amp that I had that was around your budget (used) was a VHT (now Fryette) Deliverance 60. That might be the best modern sounding amp I have ever used and is incredibly touch sensitive. It's a single channel amp though with no loop if those are important to you. IMO that amp is so touch sensitive that you can get sparkly cleans to pretty overdriven and gainy with just the guitar volume knob. Add a boost to take it to modern chugging tones and leads. :D

I miss both of those amps dearly...

EDIT: I noticed you mentioned a Stiletto ACE. Get the Deuce and preferebly stageII as it is thicker and has more gain. The Stilettos are known to be very bright but work wonders with a band and especially a two guitar band. To find one I would put an WTB ad on here for a Deuce and check out the Mesa forum for one as they usually go pretty cheap there.

9. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

Mesa Stiletto Deuce II is a highly underrated amp. people say they are shrill,but if you keep the presence and treble down and with the right power tubes it is a KILLER amp. They are a steal in the $700 range, just make sure its a II and not the original. If I had a need for a 100 watt amp I would pick one up again in a second.

10. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Brands you mentioned are a shell of what they originally were. Usually smaller builders have the passion for making good solid amps (like the biggies used to in their infancy). Perhaps not so profit (stockholder) driven.

11. joeprs

joeprs Member

I can't speak for the Chinese made Bad Cats, but the new (last 2 or maybe 3 years) American built models come with a transferable life time warranty.

12. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

This screams Mesa Single Rec to me. They're always coming and going on CL for cheap, try to snag an older model. If you're lucky, you may be able to talk someone down on a two channel dual for $800. 3 of those 4 bands play mesa's anyways.

Cleans are bold and very tweakable.
    Crunch sounds very 800 like, but with that Mesa deep end and chunky mids.
    Gain is well, it's Mesa.

13. forced4dr

forced4dr Member

Thanks for all the support. You guyshave been great. I would have killed for any Stiletto head but the best price I could find was $850 before shipping and that's a bit of a stretch. I don't like 6l6 amps and the recto is even more costly in this area than a Stiletto. I decided to take the recommendation to get the Bad Cat. They go for about $500 used out here. If I don't like it I will either return it or flip it for profit.

14. hvactech

hvactech Member

Another vote for a bad cat cougar. That baby screams. I had a stiletto and I didn't really like it. That bad cat hangs with the best.

15. joeprs

joeprs Member

Can't wait to hear how you like it!

16. custom53

custom53 Member

I was going to suggest the Peavey Classic 50 but see you already own one. Maybe try a Classic 100..? I have one, but with a 4x12 Cabinet.. Great amp..

[​IMG]

And I see you were thinking about the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100.. Great amp but try out a JCM 2000 TSL 100.. More tonal options than the DSL, at least in my own opinion. But then again, 4x12 Cabinet..

[​IMG]

17. forced4dr

forced4dr Member

The classic 50 is awesome sounding and it takes pedals really well. I just wanted the amps gain channel to be tonally different. I love the classic 50 though. I will never part with it. I just like the tonal qualities of an over driven el34 but I can't eq my xxx to save my life with el34s, sounds muffeled not open. so I want another el34 head and I'm putting the 6l6 back in the xxx. I'll have the warmth of the el84 amp in the classic 50. A nice el34 for medium gain if I like the Bad Cat. I will keep the xxx 6l6 for more modern gain or some lead work when tracking. I was going to get a Peavey Windsor but I'm not a fan of single channel amps. I'll try to remember to update when the Bad Cat gets here.

18. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

I like the mesa Single Rec recommendation. I have a tremoverb, and at least on my amp (dual rec) you can use either 6L6 or El34 tubes. I think the single rec is the same? Will get you a little more versatility if you ever change up your sound.

19. hvactech

hvactech Member

So what do you think of the Cougar op?