Looking for new tubes for my Prosonic... Suggest unto me some tubes! pretty please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mohowski, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mohowski

mohowski Member

Hey fellas,

I'm looking to retube a Prosonic that I just got a few days ago. I'm looking for some new tubes in the 6L6GC/5881 arena. I'll be using the amp mostly for surf/rockabilly on the clean channel, and thrash metal on the drive channel. It sounds a little dark as it is so some brighter tubes might be in order, but i'm really looking for a more balanced overall tone. The tubes in it now look like some ancient short bottle GTs.

Can someone explain the tonal differences between some of the 5881 and 6L6 options? Right now i'm looking at getting the Winged C 6L6GC, or maybe a set of Tung Sol 5881s. I've heard JJs are dark sounding, and the amp is dark as it is, but i havent ruled them out completely.

Thanks!

2. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Ive got JJ 6l6s in mine, and its not dark. I really like them. Try Bob @ Eurotubes for more info. He is very helpful and owns a Prosonic.

3. mohowski

mohowski Member

Thanks. What kind of preamp tubes are you using, may I ask? I haven't swapped any out yet in mine, but am thinking that might brighten it up too with the right tubes.

4. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Get in touch with Bob at euro tubes and tell him what you are looking for from your Prosonic . He will make recomondations on all the tubes .

5. mohowski

mohowski Member

I used Bob before when I retubed my Twin Reverb with good results. I just wasn't sure that for my Prosonic I should only look at one manufacturer when there are so many options out there. I'll give Bob a holler and see what he suggests.

6. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Ive got 2 Mullard CV 4004 pres in it now. These are big bucks though. I would suggest a lower gain pre amp tube since the Prosonic is really hot. Here is a link to the Prosonic tube options Eurotubes offers...
    https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=7&sub_category_id=59