1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Non-weight Relieved, Non-chambered Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by agreatheight, May 21, 2011.

1. agreatheight

agreatheight Member

What are my options for a non-weight relieved, non-chambered actual Les Paul, or Les Paul style guitar? Hopefully around or less than 2k? I think the Gibson Traditional Pro is about what I am looking for, but I thought it would be good to get some opinions / options before I get too far.

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Google Gibson Les Paul 101.
    If you've played a Trad Pro and liked it, why care about specs?

3. james...

james... Member

IMO a trad pro is exactly what you want. Probably the best LP that Gibson makes right now.

4. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Historic, buy used.

5. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

A Traditional is weight relieved.

6. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

AfIk, the ltd ec-401vf is not weight relieved. It weighs a ton. It's not a gibson, but it comes with duncans, is well made, and it's cheap.

7. duaneallen

duaneallen Member

Heritage H150. Made by the original craftsmen, at the original factory, using original specs (Honduran Mahogany, no weight relieving, Eastern Maple Top). Did I say original enough?

8. cap217

cap217 Member

The traditional pro I had felt weight relieved. It was really light! The traditional plus felt heavier and beget to me.

9. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Norlin era Les Pauls from the 70's were as solid as they come and weighed a ton. Unlike the awful acoustics, there were actually quite a few good ones that can be had for under $2K that would meet your needs.

10. dzo

dzo Member

A used R7 can be had for less than $2k.

11. agreatheight

agreatheight Member

Wow, that is disappointing that Gibson doesn't make one non-weight relieved guitar under 2k. I understand that many people would want the lighter guitar for gigging, but I am looking for a studio player. Seems like they could do one model...

I'll look at used in my area, but I am still interested in new. What about Hamer? They always struck me as very LP-like, taking into account the double cut. They are solid body, yes? Any other ideas?

12. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

/\This/\

13. jchan

jchan Member

Samash has the "Traditional 1960" which is good. I just picked one up with a tea burst finish, 57 classic pickups, slim 60's neck, new for $1599 (on sale). I gigged with it once already. Its a great guitar. It is "weight relieved" as is the Trad Pro. Mine is 9.2 lbs. I suggest calling samash online and see if they can cut you the same deal.

14. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

Must it be a Gibson?

15. jchan

jchan Member

If you want the beef that only a les paul can deliver, then I think gibson les pauls are the best bang for the buck. Lower cost copies don't do as good of a job IMO and better ones will be significantly more expensive.

I had a PRS McCarty previously and it was a very well made guitar but didn't deliver the Les Paul crank and sustain. I have played other Japanese copies and they don't do it either IMO.

I'm sure there are better ones out there but the price goes up very quickly.

16. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Really, the weight relief thing is a non-issue - it has little-to-no affect on the tone and helps to keep the weight under control. My weight-relieved Trad Plus (which I had to sell to pay for medical bills) sounded fantastic and weighed only about 8.5 lbs.

17. wizard333

wizard333 Member

Norlins were weight relieved.

Historic used would be the way to go to meet those requirements. You should be able to get a R8 or G0 for that amount.

18. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Only from '83-'86

19. jchan

jchan Member

The weight relieved ones are pretty close. The chambered ones are completely different sounding, although, not necessarily bad.

20. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

This thread made me laugh cause every couple posts you get "Historic, used"...

Then some posts and again historic used...

And you know what- they are 100% right... I bought a 2007 R8 and concur...

Historic used... Right around 2 grand.