Looking for Nylon Acoustic / Electric for Live Performance

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by carl_is_tall, Aug 9, 2019.

1. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Hey everyone, I'm mostly an electric player but have a project coming up where I will need a nylon string guitar specifically for live performance. It will not be mic'd and the stage volume might be loud so I think that's important to know.

Looking at the Godin MultiAc Grand Concert, the Yamaha SLG200n and possibly the Cordoba GK Pro model. I'm worried about the Cordoba due to the potential feedback issues at performance volumes.

Edit: Also in the running is a used Chet Atkins CE. Any suggestions on this guitar?

I need to have the ability to send a great nylon sound to the FOH.

Any suggestions on these or any other models? My budget is most likely under $2k.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Bluedano1 likes this.
  2. freddyfeebleman

freddyfeebleman Supporting Member

3. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Cool ! I had no idea about this guitar. I'll look into it. Thanks a bunch

freddyfeebleman likes this.
  4. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I remember many ( many!) years ago just picking up the Chet Atkins nylon ( not even plugging it in).and just thinking it was weird or ' mixed message' guitar as it was heavy, more solid-body feeling than I expected, plus it's a nylon string that puts out very little acoustic volume- felt strange, kinda like a nylon Les Paul!

I've never played one ( and would have very limited $$ anyway) but I'd love to just try out the budget Cordoba C5-CE
    as it seems like the perfect nylon string for me.
    ( as someone who plays equally electric and acoustic guitar gigs- just to play all the same music, but with a cool twist on tone, with the nylon)
    Will get around to it...

5. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Thanks for that. Another guy suggested that model too. Wish there was a place I could play it and see if I like it. Not sure how much difference there is between the N6 and the Godin Multiac Nylon Duet. Both have pretty outstanding reviews. One is solid (N6) one is chambered. (Godin) The Godin has a 2" nut and the N6 is 1 13/16". A small diff for sure. The other would be the electronics. Nobody here in Tulsa has either guitar to try out.

I've read that the Epiphone version of the Chet Atkins CEC is an option as well. Have to see if I can find one here in town.

6. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I bought a used nylon (narrow neck) SLG for my kid. I sort of worked out a way to keep it for myself...:banana Love it.

I've owned an Epi Chet Atkins Steel string, not a nylon. I have nothing bad to say about them.

7. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I had a Godin nylon for a while, wonderful performance guitar, I now have the Gypsy Kings Studio Negra which I have not played a gig volumes. I also have a concert grade classical and many electrics. First, I'm not sure the GK Pro is worth the extra money as the Studio Negra is a delightful guitar. Second, you can not go wrong with the Godin live. I had the slim model solid body that had very little acoustic output but fantastic live qualities. It was great to play in all aspects except for regular practicing. You hear very little of the normal nuances but you also have quiet practice. I didn't use it enough live to justify keeping it and went with the GK Studio Negra

Jim S likes this.
  8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Be aware that the Gibson Chet model had a proprietary electronics setup and they used some components that were subject to aging failure. There are no replacement parts unless they come from a working guitar or you can figure out how to make substitute parts do the job. I worked with a guy that used one on the bandstand with me. His had sort of fallen apart electronically but he was an electronics guy and he managed to bypass enough Gibson stuff to keep it working. I wasn't blown away by it but it was functional. He picked up the later Epiphone version and while he had uneven string to string volume issues and had to return a couple, it actually sounded better to me than the Gibson once he got one that worked.

I have a GK Studio that I gigged a lot. Pretty good resistance to feedback and a decent utility player if not inspired. Here it is with a front of house phone recording from an earlier band. DI'd to PA. That is my bud on his Chet in the background and guitar harmonies BTW.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13303118

I also use an SLG200N. If you are worried at all about feedback the SLG will take care of it completely. Since I got the SLG, the only time I use the Cordoba live is for a small duo/trio where I want the look of the acoustic. And volumes are reasonable.

hunter

9. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Yamaha makes a very nice electric nylon guitar. Wish I didn't sell the one I had.

10. somecafone

somecafone Member

11. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

Godin was good enough for GE Smith who was Roger Waters musical director for the Wall tour. Just something to consider...

Rod likes this.
  12. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Yup, looks like I need to find one I can play to try it out.

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Many fine guitarists here in New England use the Godin model Multiac with great tone results... stay away from the Gibson Chet Atkins Classical.. plagued with a strange pickup system that can’t be replaced

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Godin Multiac.

15. Wag

Wag Member

[​IMG]

https://www.washburn.com/product/eact42s/

I accidentally bought one of these Washburns recently (made a lowball offer on what was essentially an open box unit and they accepted! Who'da thunk it?). Its leans more to the low budget side but after installing a fresh set of aquilas on it she plays very nicely. The wound strings seemed especially noisy to me at first but that has diminished some as the strings settled in. The neck is very comfortable. Not nearly as wide as most of the nylon string guitars I've played. Most of my time on it has been unplugged but I did use it at a band rehearsal a few weeks ago for one song. I didnt spend much time trying to dial the sound in but the electronics were functional to be sure. Typical of what you'd expect to find on a guitar in this price range. All in all, a nice guitar for those who cant afford a Godin.

16. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

I've had a Multiac for many years - quality guitar! You have to like the neck though, mine at least has a rather slim D-ish profile.

17. Rufus

Rufus Member

The Taylor Academy 12e-N is surprisingly awesome for a $700 guitar. No cutaway, if you need that, but sounds and plays great.