1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for ODs that shine in front of an already overdriving amp...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jpage, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Pretty self explanatory. The amp (Naylor Super Club 38) won't be exclusively overdriven (but at 38w it prob will never be "clean" either) but I really like ODs that "color" and "shape" the tone I have rather than mask everything and take over. I currently have a modded TS9 and a Barber Small Fry that I like.

I've been out of the "booteek" pedal thing for awhile but I know that I would like some sort of fuzz flavor on the board along with a boost of some sort (Fulltone Fat Boost?). And anything else that floats my petunia. Playing classic rock and blues. Strat and Les Paul.

Sorry to be vague, but I know all of you guys know this stuff well and I'm just looking for ideas. Please let me know why and be as specific as you have the time and patience for.

Thanks!

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Honestly - it's hard to beat a Klon.

3. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I would suggest you consider the following:

Fuzz: Blackout Effectors Musket/Earthquaker Devices Hoof
    OD: Timmy, or Tim (with boost and loop features)

4. somedude

somedude Member

The thing I really like about the Fulldrive is that you can plug it into an amp that's really cooking, and it'll still give you a really smooth/clear sounding lead tone.

Since you asked, the Fat Boost 2 is a clean boost with compression rather than a strait up clean boost. I use it because it fattens up the signal and the compression evens out the string to string tone better than a strait up clean boost. It's capable of a fair bit of fattening... With Les Pauls I have to back the bass knob off quite a bit, but for Strat's and Tele's it'd probably be pretty cool.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I play my amps distorted and use a Klon and a Zendrive. I also just got a Swollen Pickle that seems to work great for adding fuzz tone without oversaturating my tone, as long as you keep the gain down.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Member

FD2 (this is what it's FAMOUS for)

Timmy

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

For boosting, I found that many pedals will sound pretty darn close. Sure there are slight differences but in a band setting those differences are lost. So with all the other areas to put money into a rig, I decided to stay on the budget side for this with a modded Boss SD-1. Works as well as any with a JCM 800. The other inexpensive pedal thats under the radar is the Zoom PD-01. Has a bass, treble , gain and volume knob and is pretty much a clean boost with the gain all the way down.

8. Mesanixta

Mesanixta Member

why in the hell would you recommend a fuzz ? it is a FUZZ you know

9. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

^^this^^

10. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Your modded TS-9, is that Keeley Mod Plus? If so, that pedal should do it with the gain back down and the level up.

11. somedude

somedude Member

'Cause the OP asked?

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Totally agree on the Klon and Zendrive.
    Also (any two) an OCD v.4 (current version).

Any one, two, or three of those, I think can't go wrong.

13. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

what you need is a keeley java boost. perfect for your application. just a little something to make solos sing.

14. gill

gill Member

I use the Zoom PD-01 also and it works very well for this. Don't know what they're going for used but I remember they were getting blown out for around $50

15. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Throbak Overdrive Boost
    Beano
    Tim/ Timmy

16. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. As a follow up, can you be more specific as to what these pedals actually sound like?

Some suggest the Fulldrive, but I'm thinking my TS9 does the "mid-hump" boost thing pretty well and I don't need to be overtly redundant. I love the OCD, but it really is damn close to the Barber Small Fry--I A/B'd a V1 OCD with the SF about a year and a half ago which is why I sold the OCD. Maybe the later versions are different?

Is the Zendrive different than a tubescreamer?

What companies make these pedals (Tim? Timmy? Zendrive?)?

Thanks all!

Also, noise will be an issue, so if the OD is exceptionally noisy or quiet, please let me know.

17. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Colorsound Overdriver/Power Boost or any of the replicas like the Pro Analog Power Driver. Also, if you can find one, the Univox UD-50 Uni-Drive is incredible-huge, punchy and in your face loud though.

18. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Tim Timmy - Paul Cochrane manufactures them - really great guy. Great for boosting an already heated Marshall or Vox type amp. It sounds exactly like your guitar and amp. Very transperant. It's got a large gain range, but really it's most usable from 6:00- about 1:00. Above that, you start to fizz a bit. I love it with my AC30. I just set all the knobs to Noon and jam. He's got a myspace, but you have to call him to place an order.

Zendrive - Hermidia Audio - I've got the Zen2 right now on a trial. It's a bit too pillowy for my taste. Sounds like someone tossed a wet blanket over my amp. I know why some players like it, but not for me. They've got a website

One I'm really liking is the Clark - Barber Built - Gainster - Loves my fender princeton and sounds pretty solid with my AC30. It's real similar to the Timmy, but it's got more midcontent that's always present. Lots of clarity. No wet blanket here. I think manufacturing is on hiatas, but they aren't real expensive used (like $130) and Barber electronics is a major player. In fact, any of Dave's pedals: Small fry (you already have), Direct Drive, LTD, and his trifecta fuzz would be worth looking at.

Pedalworx makes some pretty solid pedals in this drive category for very reasonable prices.

Also, Check out Durham Electronics - Sex Drive, Mucho Boosto, Zia Drive

19. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

BD-2 or Keeley Fuzz Head would be my suggestion.

20. elkym

elkym Member