Looking for opinions on the Xotic EP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jabby92, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Hi guys,

I am huge fan of Xotic effects. I have made extensive use of the BB Preamp and AC Booster. They are 2 of my favourite pedals out of all the ODs and boost pedals I have used. I am curious about the EP Booster which I have read a lot of praise for.

Can someone explain exactly what is unique about this circuit? I always read things like it 'adds the right frequencies' but in what sense? Low end, mids or treble? Where does it hit? Is this a pedal you stack with others or use it just as a solo booster?

Typically my 'always on' pedal has been either the BB or AC and recently I started using a Wampler Tumnus (Klon style pedal) a lot. I just like boosting my overall signal as I use low output pickups in all my guitars. I don't like compressing the tone more, just getting 'more' of my existing tone if that makes sense.

Just looking for opinions.. thanks.

Dr.Lee and Riffa like this.
  2. strawberries

strawberries Member

The one xotic pedal I didn't like. It messed with the EQ too much and there wasn't enough control over frequencies. Also sounds nothing like the preamp from my echo plex. I felt like I was reaching chasing that tone in a compact format.

Tung-Sol Tube and saltbird like this.
  3. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Thanks. So is it sort of all hype to you then? What exactly does this circuit do to the EQ?

4. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I don't like it. It does add a certain high end chime or sparkle but it also boosts the lows too much which is usually the last thing I want a boost pedal to do.

If you want a good boost pedal with a wide range of tonal options, check out the TC Spark. For one that just gives you a flat volume boost, check out the Spark mini.

I also like the RC Boost as the last pedal in my chain to give me a volume boost for leads. I find that if I keep the gain low, drop the lows and treble a bit, then turn up the volume, it gives me a nice volume boost and also a bump in the mids so the leads stand out a little more without having to overdo the volume.

The TC Spark does that also, and a little better, imo, but I just don't have room for it on my current gigging pedalboard.

Elantric likes this.
  5. ballynally

ballynally Member

i totally agree with everything you said.
    People often don't realise that a boost most likely will bring in low end and sometimes high end.
    Bad for neck pickups imo.At least one can control the high end with the guitar's tone control.You are stuck with the bass.Therefore i go for a boost with either tone controls or one that i use to beef up my bridge pickup.The mentioned TC Spark is great for a controlled boost.I do like Fet based boosts like the MXR Micro amp.
    The RC is good too.The EP brings in a ton of low end and does not sound like the original Echoplex pre.
    I use the Spark mostly for solos.Has a nice mid lift.I fine tune it to my guitar/ amp and depending on stage volume.

6. strawberries

strawberries Member

I play fairly loudly. Usually can bring most of my amps besides my plexi to above half volume. I like the responsive nature of my echoplex's preamp. The delay of course is magical but the preamp really gives a tweed amp a singing nature. Very easy to get Eric Johnson tones and that Woodstock Santana tone if you're able to keep it under control. It's a really fun experience, like riding a wild horse.

The EP boost just shifted the mids strangely, added bass that I didn't need. I don't want a bass cut but I also don't want added bass. I want it fairly neutral. The high end didn't work with my p90s either.

7. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I had one years ago
    It seems most popular with stray players

I use an RC boost set with gainv volume and mid boost for solos with my Dirty Shirley and have the Super Sweet after that as my last device and use its buffer. I use it a s subtle high mid boost to get my neck single coil to pop a bit

8. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I'll be the contrarian in this threat. I think the EP is amazing but the exact reasons that @strawberries didn't like it. I only used it for the EQ changes it imparts to the signal and not so much for the boost. I put it at the end of the signal chain to liven things up with the boost set at almost zero. If I switched to a single coil guitar, I might turn it up slightly to make up for the lower output pickups. It's hard to explain what the EQ is doing. (yeah, it's the pre-amp sound from an Echoplex...bla bla bla). But the result is a slightly brighter tone with better note definition. All I know is that when you turn it off, everything just sounds worse. So, it's an always-on pedal. However, at the moment it's not on my board because I'm using a Revival Drive Compact and that livens up the tone as part of what it does. If I remove the RDC, I'll put the EP back in place as an always-on.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a simple clean boost that just makes everything louder, this isn't it. If you're looking to improve a bit of a flat/uninspiring tone with perhaps a little bump, the EP is great.

Paul Conway likes this.
  9. Riffa

Riffa Member

I like it a lot, but only as an always-on sweetener. If you switch it on for a solo boost, the low end bump is just too much for me.

Michigan guitar likes this.
  10. prowlinacage

prowlinacage Member

I play a Strat though a ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, which sounds wonderful on its own and in small, low-volume group settings. But at full-band small club gig volume I feel it gets lost, especially next to the humbuckers of a Gibson SG the other guitar player uses. I’ve found EP Booster fills things out and adds presence. I use it as an always-on pedal, early in the chain.

11. feet

feet Supporting Member

still cool, 18v for life

12. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

I think it’s amazing because the EQ is extremely pleasant, though I don’t know if it sounds like a real Echoplex. I use it with the volume very low just to get the EQ and slight compression and like to leave it on. I bought another pedal with a flatter EQ to use for a volume/drive boost.

Dr.Lee likes this.
  13. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

I really like it, but I have a setup that is naturally strong in the upper mids, so the increased lows and low mids help to produce a great, pleasing tone. For a booster I would say the response is fairly atypical in that it isn't boosting flat or the highs. But I use it as an always on near unity gain in conjunction with a preamp pedal with full tone stack. Great combo.

14. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

My opinion on the EP booster is that it is small.

15. Dr.Lee

Dr.Lee Member

I have had one for years now on my pedalboard. I primarily play stratocasters. It really adds a pleasant sound in front of a partially broken up amp or pedal like the Tumnus. It does give a bump in the bass, but with single coils it is a very nice bump! There are dip switch settings that do change the eq curve inside the box btw.

16. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I think the EP works great to push and fatten up single coil pickups. But it can get “woofy” with some humbuckers. But it’s been out for a long time and now there are other clean boost pedals like the Page, RC Booster and Spark Booster that can be adjusted to give the same sound and MUCH more. And because they are more versatile, they can work better with some humbuckers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  17. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

Love it- run it in my fx loop as a solo boost or as a “need a little more” kick. Always adds just what I need...

18. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Did you play with the internal switching at all? Wondering if that can change things up. I see it has a few modes. I wouldn't mind testing it out to see how it works.

Thanks, this is usually how I use a boost. I always use low output pickups, single coils and humbuckers, so I have always boosted the signal this way. One thing I like about my BB preamp and Tumnus is they let me shape the EQ how I want, so I'd be curious to see how all the modes on the EP booster impact things. I watched a few demos so I may pick one up soon if I can.

19. Dominik

Dominik Member

saltbird and Jabby92 like this.
  20. saltbird

saltbird Member

That was a quick and interesting read, I'm glad you shared that. It makes me want to dig out my EP-Booster and give it a whirl later today.