Looking for opinions on the Xotic EP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jabby92, Jan 12, 2020.

1. strawberries

strawberries Member

Yes I played with the internal switching which is minimal at helping out what I wrote above.

2. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

I kept it for a long time, but, ultimately, the lows were too much for me.

3. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I dig the EP Booster and have one on a pedal board. I use it in a very specific way--AFTER any other OD pedal. Gives you a boost and smooths out the OD pedal and makes it more amp-like.

As I said, I do like the EP Booster. However, I LOVE the ClinchFX EP-PRE. It is the same concept, but in my experience it is the best Echoplex pre-amp booster out there. Not as much boost as the Xotic, but the affect and the tone are sweeter. It's hard to describe, but it is just sounds better to me.

Go check out the demo that Pete Thorn did a number of years ago.

Dominik likes this.
  4. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Low mids boost. It's a great way to thicken your single coil tones. Try it both before and after dirt pedals. And yes, play with those internal dip switches!

5. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Silver Supporting Member

There should just something special about the accentuated frequencies that the EP Booster employs. It's emulation of the Echoplex preamp isn't exact but Xotic's design gives many rigs a 'bloom' that they don't normally have. I used one in various incarnations of my rig for years until I got a Strymon Deco. The left side of the Deco is similar to the EP Booster in that it emulates the preamp of a vintage tape(reel-to-reel) deck with the higher settings on the Deco imparting a bit of drive into the tone. The EP is neither a drive nor a clean boost either. The best descriptor I've heard is a pedalboard 'sweetener' as it can be placed anywhere in your effects chain for differing effect. As for being 'always on', I probably had mine on 90% of the time when I used it and it's still about that with the Strymon. Some high gain amps don't love either pedal.
    If you're just looking for an excellent clean boost, the Analogman Bad Bob would be my choice.