Looking for opinions...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Strumzilla, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Strumzilla

Strumzilla Member

...from the wide variety of backgrounds we have here.

I'm currently enrolled in Berklee Online's Music Production program. One of the courses (Music Production Analysis) often involves running experiments that involve having subjects listen to music and give feedback. I'm just throwing out a wide net and anyone who thinks they might be willing to participate please let me know. The more opinionated and verbose you are, the better. I'll probably also post individual requests for specific projects/questions going forward.

2. -alex

-alex Silver Supporting Member

Are you running a real user study and are they teaching you enough about the tools and methods to properly run one? Are they teaching you how to evaluate Likert scales and/or rank labeled data?

I'd be happy to chime in.

I bet there enough of us that will be subjects and enough to help out with user study design and stats if you need it.

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Sure, I'll give it a whirl.

4. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

Looking for opinions? Well, you've come to the right place!

5. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

I agree, you should make sure you design your study carefully so that you can get meaningful results. People have performed similar experiments, so you should definitely look for published articles (google scholar is incredibly useful for this, in case you don't already know about it).

I ran a listening study over the summer and got some decent results, so I'm happy to share my experiences, but I'm hardly an expert.

6. Strumzilla

Strumzilla Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your willingness to help. Thus far, I don't know that there will be anything equivalent to a large sample study. That may change, and I definitely appreciate your input Alex and Chopsley!!

I'm taking a music production analysis course that's teaching us how to listen with a producer's ear and to evaluate music on its merits for the intended audience. For example, even though Justin Bieber's music would make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon, apparently he has an audience. We're trying to understand what makes his music appeal to his audience. (feel free to chime in with your assessment of his audience, here. I'm taking the high road). Thankfully, they've chosen, ahem, artists with a bit more credibility so far.

For the feedback needed, it's generally been a few subjects at any given time. I'm looking to use different people each time, but I definitely want my musicians peeps feedback. I think the best approach is going to be to post the questions or equivalent on a case by case basis as they are assigned.

Again everyone, thank you thank you thank you. The next time I post it should be the actual questions or equivalent from the forthcoming assignments.

7. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

Opinionated? I'm in!