looking for other alternatives than the RKII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ang3lus, May 6, 2008.

1. Ang3lus

Ang3lus Member

Hey all,

I'm thinking about buying the RKII (will take me 3 months to come up with the money but what the hell right ?)
    RKII = Road king II

i've always digged the boogie tone and am using a seymour duncan convertible which is voiced similar (i have a clip here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD49XqvGoOo)

is there anything on earth that's similiar to this beast of an amp ?
    i'm just making sure before i spend 3400$ (including shipment etc to israel) on an amp.

2. cyndicate

cyndicate Member

If you don't need all the bells and whistles the RK has to offer, you should look into Mark IV's or maybe a Bogner XTC

3. jetdriver

jetdriver Member

What about the Mesa Roadster. Same head without the power amp switching bells & whistles.

4. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I suggest you get one used and save some loot. Be aware that there's a loud pop when switching from CH3 to other channels. Same thing with the Roadster. Some people claim their's doesnt do this but I've owned both and both did it. Soundguys LOVE it:FM

I found that being able to footswitch from EL-34s to 6L6's really didnt sound that different also.
    Maybe check into a used ENGL.

5. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Do you like the classic Boogie sound or the sound of a Recto. That'll drive your decision.

6. Ang3lus

Ang3lus Member

classic boogie mainly, the recto is nice though.
    also, i can't buy it used, since i need 220v voltage operation and i have to order that directly from boogie.
    plus shipping and taxes, that beast is not that cheap :O

i was looking at the new egnater tourmaster
    is it even in the same league ?

i'm talking quality of sound quality of components etc, since egnater is made in the far east and is real cheap considering