Looking for Overdrive/Distortion "Tube" sounding pedal

major

After being here with all the great posts from amps to pedalboards, I decided to expand my array of pedals so here is what I have in overdrive-distortion pedal. The Blackstar HT Dual. I really love this pedal from mild distortion to over the top high gain. It operates with 1 12xa7 tube. Now I would like a move in a different direction, somewhat. I would like to buy another "tube" pedal giving me a softer, creamier overdrive, that can sustain at moderate volume, one that has more than just a "Tone" control. That is what I'm searching for, if you have it give me and everyone else a short review and price range. Thanks in advance.

shaggs

jeckyll and hyde, it s a tube screamer clone on one side and a distortion marshall in abox clone on the other. ts side has drive, tone, volume control, the dist. side has drive, tone, eg, and volume.

used around $120, new around $170

i had one for a while and really like it, but never used the dist. side, i dont use any distortions so i sold it

ibzmav

since you're looking for an 'overdrive/dist' pedal.

softer, creamier overdrive, that can sustain at moderate volume, one that has more than just a "Tone" control.

I suggest you try Barber Direct Drive.

The Scrutinizer

Well, if you absolutely detest David Gilmour's or Eric Johnson's tone, stay away from the Tube Driver !

I own the Barber DD, and i love it - Great suggestion

I still think it compresses a bit for my tastes, but good tone, and very tweakable

Logan Coats

The overdrive side of my fd2 sounds like you described. It only has a tone control tho. however there are three switchable modes for the tone and an extra gain boost function

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
since you're looking for an 'overdrive/dist' pedal.

I suggest you try Barber Direct Drive.

or better yet the for $20 more the Barber Custom Super Sport, its a Direct Drive with more control ..very tweakable !

Shiny McShine

I happened to back up my looper directly to my iMac and I had been running the Zen 2 with the gain at about 9:00. It was surprisingly amp sounding, almost enough to work with direct and be satisfied. Of course, it actually has a little tube in it so that's likely why it sounds pretty close.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom