Looking for Rio Grande BBQ chunk but.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Occam, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Occam

Occam Member

...but with a little more open and clear. In my semi-hollow my BBQ sounds amazing for the dark chunky stuff but it needs a little more snap and clarity to it. I'd like it in the same beefy PAF output range....not too low and vintagey but not a high gain metal pickup either.

2. Occam

Occam Member

I don't know...I've never tried one. How accurately does it do the Billy Gibbons tone?

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

Check your volume and tone pots...my Rio Grande Texas and BBQ pickups "opened up" and "cleaned up" quite a bit when I chucked the stock pots in my Les Paul Standard. The CTS 500k audio taper pots made a considerable difference...

Good luck,

-Thad

4. Occam

Occam Member

I have the CTS pots in there...I have one of those RS guitarworks kits in there. My BBQ was more open sounding when I had it in one of my flying v's but I think there's something about the extra resonance of the semi-hollow that's making it a bit darker.

5. johnny q

johnny q Member

I had the BBQ in my Les Paul Custom, I know exactly what you are talking about when you say you want more "open." I think you are basically looking for a hot Alnico 5 pickup, so.......

Duncan JB - folks either love this or hate it, I like it!:) It sounds best in a mahogany guitar, nice and warm. I understand it gets a little shrill in axes of diff wood types or floyd rose equipped guitars. Should sound nice with those 500K CTS pots. I know some folks use 250K pots, but IMHO it takes away some of the high end sparkle.

WCR Shredder - Billed as a "better JB" without the high mid spike. Some that have reviewed it here likened it to the BBQ actually.

Other choices: Duncan Custom 5 (although this one has Neutral mids) WCR Fillmore, High Order Maximus wind and Duncan Screamin Demon

JQ

6. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I wanted a little more brightness in my semi-hollow and ended up putting a Phat Cat at the bridge. It gave me the clarity I needed and balanced well with the '59 I have at the neck.

7. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I'm not mistaken the RS kit pots are 300K?

I would double check....

8. johnny q

johnny q Member

Nope, the RS kits use CTS audio taper, values tested to be 520K or better.

JQ

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

Occam, the nice thing about the BBQ is how it is so versatile and right in the middle of vintage and modern high gain - very versatile. If you find you lack some presence or highs, etc....the BBQ is very sensitive to pole piece adjustment and pickup height.

Try raising the poles and lowering the pickup as this should open it up a bit.