Looking for Small Tube Amp (Blues Jr.?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by groovetuber, Aug 11, 2008.

1. groovetuber

groovetuber Member

I am looking to buy a small and somewhat light tube amp to bring to music school with me. I definitely need it to be loud enough to play gigs, but light and portable enough to carry it around NYC. So far I have liked the Blues Jr., it's not incredibly small, but it shouldn't be too bad, definitely set tonewise there. I only need a clean amp. I use a tubescreamer for overdrive and a compressor in front of that. To give you an idea I play jam band type stuff a la phish/dead/umphreys and jazz. Do you guys have any suggestions? I definitely do need it to be a tube amp. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

2. frank62

frank62 Member

If you don't need reverb the Pro Junior is a killer little amp that is slightly smaller and lighter that the Blues Junior.

3. Degle

Degle Member

Give the Bad Cat Mini Cat II a try. I've had several Blues jr's, a Pro jr, and a Dr Z. Mini Z. The Mini Cat II is smaller and more portable than the Blues Jr, and has a much more complex sound.

4. groovetuber

groovetuber Member

Hmmm, what amp out of those do you think is the cleanest sounding? I really don't want much breakup within the amp since I will be using a tubescreamer for overdrive. I just need a straight up clean amp. I wish Mesa made something smaller, I absolutely love my Mark III Blue Stripe combo, but it's just too heavy to bring to school. Do you think the Bad Cat Mini Cat II is loud enough for gigs? Also is there somewhere I can hear clips of this amp? I can't seem to find any. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. groovetuber

groovetuber Member

6. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Gotta agree here. Not tons of clean headroom, but a great little amp that eats pedals.

7. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Hey, MF is blowing out the V18 for $150. It's perfect.

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Epiphone Valve Standard, $300 15 watts tube, more features than the Blues Jr, I had the Epi Valve Special, the 5 watt little brother, easy to carry around great amp as well.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEPABKSTDSP

personally I would stay away from the peavy VK series, they are light, but their tone sucks, I have one that replaced my Epi Valve Special, not even close IMO.

9. groovetuber

groovetuber Member

Thanks for the help, I will look into these, is there anywhere I can find clips of the Bad Cat Mini Cat II?

10. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

You mean like down the stairs and into a cab or that you're going to schlep it down the street yourself?

Not the lightest amp out there, but if you can find a used Gibson Goldtone GA-15R, I think you'd be happy with it. Gorgeous cleans and takes pedals real well.

11. nomadh

nomadh Member

Agreed. Crazy if you don't consider the V18.

Also agreed on the VK. It sounds like gasoline tastes.
    Dont know the 15 watt gibson but I doubt its twice the amp the crate V18 is. When you think of the Vseries just think the opposite of crate.

12. groovetuber

groovetuber Member

I'm pretty much going to be carrying it around town on my own. I won't have a car or anything as they aren't really needed in NYC, so I'll be taking the subway and walking around town. I eventually am going to get my Mesa up to school, but I need something as a substitute for a good year or so.

13. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

14. groovetuber

groovetuber Member

15. Derelict

Derelict Member

small, lightweight, tone, enough power, not much $$$....... very hard to beat a fender pro jr.... very hard. :hide

16. groovetuber

groovetuber Member

17. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Blues Jr. is a sweet little amp with plenty of volume. I wouldn't drag a boutique amp around NYC too much, but if you don't mind the Reeves Custom 12 combo is super light (about 24lbs) and gives up some excellent clean tone. It has been my grab and go for gigs.

18. doc

doc Member

I know you said tube only, but for your application I'd consider solid state, something like a Peavey Envoy with a replacement Neo speaker in it or something similar. You can find amps suitable for small gigs that are fairly small and weigh under 30 lbs. I really wouldn't want to be schlepping a tube amp of almost any size around like that. If you really think so, borrow a Blues Jr. and carry it along with your guitar, cables, tubescreamer, etc. for about 6 blocks wherever you are currently and see if it doesn't make you think about it some.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  19. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The Blues Jr. with a Tone Tubby and a good treble booster. You get it all.

20. groovetuber

groovetuber Member

I just discovered that there is a Tweed NOS version of the Blues Jr which a lot of people seem to like more than the stock version. Does anyone have an opinion on this amp and would it be a better choice vs. the stock blues jr for the type of sound i need? I definitely need a lot of clean headroom, and I'm sure if I needed to I could throw some different power tubes in that are a lower rating. Anyway, what are your thought on the Tweed NOS Blues Jr?