Looking for some cool spacey ambient tones on a budget

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dave-o, Dec 25, 2009.

1. dave-o

dave-o Member

Id like to put a board together that will give me some cool textural spacey ambient tones. Ideas?

2. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

I'm thinking Space Echo and volume pedal for swells.
    Terje Rypdal and Eivind Aarset are two guitarists with awesome ambient sounds.

3. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

DL4 covers all bases

4. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

5. dave-o

dave-o Member

I ended up buying a BYOC digi ping pong delay last night. Cool video at the bottom of the page.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/pingpong.html

Im still looking for a looper. Currently I have a vintage ad-5, soundtank flanger, ch-1 and some verb.

6. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

If I was on a tight budget, volume pedal and a Boss delay would be my choice. You can use several seconds of digital delay as a looper, it is what I usually do. RV-3s are popular among the drone / shoegaze crowd too. I would use one device for looping, and a second for spacing everything out, looks like you understand this already.

7. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

And I strongly recommend against the DL4. Many people have reliability complaints. When I had one, the sound was weak and sterile. The DL4 has multiple design flaws, people have learned to compensate for them, but I wouldn't bother unless you could get an amazing deal on one. The looper was the only good thing about it IMO.

8. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Verbzilla fits the bill.

9. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

EM-NIZINE. will definitely get you covered. and by that i mean M9.

10. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I thought that dave-o mentioned "on a budget" in the OP.Of course,his "budget" might be around $500.

:dunno

Ed

11. dave-o

dave-o Member

Thanks for all the insight guys! I am on a fairly tight budget, I play in a blues band and this ambient stuff would be mostly for home experimentation (although Id love to incorporate it into our tunes). I think the BYOC delay is going to sound great, Ill keep you posted after I build it. Now a looper and volume pedal and I should be set.

On our new cd I tried to get spacey, check it out. We do blues but not your typical blues, we call it blues for the 21st century.

vid at bottom of page

http://rottenbellyblues.com/home.html

12. lonelylooper

lonelylooper Plate of shrimp Silver Supporting Member

Get a Malekko chicklet ($120) and a Malekko 616 ($150), thats two great effects for $270.

13. Closed Eye

Closed Eye Member

Boss RV-3 + Line6 Verbzilla = ambient/drone-y goodness that can be had for under two hundred bones combined!

14. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Depends what your budget is. Ideally, best ambient pedal IMO is a DL-4 with your tone knob rolled all the way down. Can get some nice synth pads with that. If you can't afford that, next best option would be an Echo Park. But I believe you can get a used DL-4 in the same ball park as an Echo Park..just got to be patient.

15. DemoColorScheme

DemoColorScheme Member

Agreed! Mod the RV-3 with a high cut switch to double the sounds that can be had from it!

On a budget, I'd say the DL-4 or even the Echo Park are GREAT choices. If I could only pick one cheap delay, I would definitely pick the Echo Park over and over again.

16. Spudman

Spudman Member

Digitech EX7 has a Space Station, Whammy, Univibe plus others in it and can easily be found for less than a Benjamin.

17. chart #3

chart #3 Member

I would suggest a used DD-20 also. For some odd reason this pedal doesn't get mentioned often...

18. man_mars

man_mars Member

+1..For the EX-7

19. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

OK, everything mentioned is gonna run you about $500
    GO to the store and check out the M-13.
    4 Scenes with 12 boards in each scene.
    12 effects on each board means you have ANY of 576 separate effects at your feet. Add the 38 sec looper and thats less than $1 apiece and they sound good. How about 4 echos in a row. Two echos and two modulators in a row. Add the effects loop and your old effects are still going. I made Jon Lord's Hammond B-3 last night. It's endless. It will blow your frickin mind. Flashback, I'm havin a flashback!!!!!!!!

20. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

Yeah, the DD-20 looks pretty powerful, I've been tempted to get one. Or even two...