Looking for some opinions on receiving a damage purchase

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jhmcgyver, Feb 9, 2015.

1. jhmcgyver

jhmcgyver Silver Supporting Member

I purchased a piece of gear from a member. I paid Paypal. It was damaged bad in shipping because it was very poorly packed. I told I was not interested in keeping it. He did insure it. I sent pictures to the seller. He said he didn't pack it. Fed Ex did. I said regardless,you have to file the claim because you are the shipper. Fed ex is sending a call tag for the damaged piece and it will be out of my possession tomorrow. The seller said I will get my money back when Fed Ex pays the claim. Seems like I am left waiting to see IF Fed Ex pays a claim to the seller for a piece he was ultimately responsible for packing and shipping correctly. Not to mention he has already been paid for it. Am I missing something here???? Or does this seem like I am the one out in the cold????

thoughts?????

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Contact Paypal and file a dispute. Include all pics and emails between you and him. They should refund you, and will have to get their money back from him, iirc.

3. jhmcgyver

HI Scott, Yes I could do that. I just wanted to kind of run this by someone. The guy I purchased it from seems to think. That he should only refund me if and when Fed Ex pays the claim. He said he doesn't want to get "stiffed"
    I asked him what if Fed Ex does not pay the claim? Then what? I am taking his word for the fact that he said Fed Ex packed it. I really don't know that. And after the call tag comes tomorrow I won't have the broken piece either,

4. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Paypal dispute.
    That's what it's there for.
    No need to overthink this one.

5. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

What is/was it and how badly damaged? I'd get a refund, make sure he can prove FedEx packed it and let him file the claim- this isn't what you paid for. If the item is still somewhat available somewhere else, I would just find another one. It's not worth trying to determine how much the damage affects the value and wrangle over it for more than about a minute.

I did shipping and receiving at a music store and almost never saw serious damage but when it occurred, there was a very good reason for it.

6. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Yep, this is not your problem, it is the shipper's problem. He needs to refund you asap and fight it out with FedEx. If they did indeed pack it and he did insure it, then he shouldn't have anything to worry about himself. But he needs to refund you immediately. If that isn't done, then, just as others have stated, you need to file a dispute with Paypal and send them all correspondence. You will have a refund in no time. It sucks for him too, but things should work out fine for him also. Good luck.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

He's wrong. Open a Paypal dispute.

8. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

But what if .... The buyer pays shipping and is informed there is an additional charge for insurance to cover the full value of the item. The buyer refuses the extra insurance and the item is damaged. Why would the seller be held liable if the recepiant knew about not having full value insurance but didn't want to pay for it? Why should the seller have to pony up extra money to cover insurance (or not).

9. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

he is ultimately responsible and definitely liable for what ever FedEx decides, not you. He has to understand that. File a dispute and lift it only once he refunds you -- then you can give the guitar to FedEx (or at least tell him thats what your planning). I hope it wasnt PPG, this is why I whole-heatedly agree that should not be allowed on TGP -- not everyone on this site, as much has id like to it to be true, is a trustworthy individual -- same jerks you see on CL and Ebay can be members here; if you dont leave yourself unprotected there, why do it here?

10. jhmcgyver

Thanks guys, He is a member both here and on Rig Talk. I sent him a link to all the replies on both sites. Just wanted him to see some other opinions. I kept it anonymous. Not looking to smear anyone. I just opened a dispute with Paypal.
    Because he said he won't refund my money till he gets paid from Fed Ex.

So that will mean he will be paid "twice" Then he will give me my money back.

Wow, really???

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

You always open a dispute because there will be a time when fed ex takes the box.
    at that time
    1)Fed Ex will your box
    2)the seller will have the money
    3)you will have jack ****.

Its best to have paypal document the process.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Shipping insurance is for the seller or shipper to protect his item in transit. As a seller I am responsible to make sure the buyer gets his item undamaged. I do that by Packing well and purchasing insurance.

13. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

/\/\
    This

14. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

File a dispute immediately.

I had a member here send me an amp that I purchased from him, and it was badly damaged during shipping. UPS had badly mishandled it. As soon as UPS had picked it up from me, the seller refunded my money in full, that same day. That is how it should be done. I did help him with his claim by taking detailed photos of the amp and the packing upon arrival. He had actually done a good job of packing; UPS had just trashed it.

The delivery of an undamaged piece of gear is entirely the responsibility of the shipper. He should refund your money immediately upon confirmation that the shipper has taken possession of the damaged package. The claim is his problem, 100%.

I would also talk to the moderators about outing him here if he doesn't respond correctly.

Peace.

15. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Note to self: NEVER buy ANYTHING from Mike Shaw...

16. Not Through Yet

Not Through Yet Member

Which is why I don't like selling heavy/fragile items to people who want me to send it by courier. Too much hassle if it arrives damaged.

17. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

"Note to self: NEVER buy ANYTHING from Mike Shaw... "

LOL! Now, in fairness to myself, I always pony up for full value insurance. I was just wondering what the protocol was for the payment of insurance.

18. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I'd still file with Paypal, and immediately.
    But this should make things go smoother if he has documentation of them doing the packing.

19. Clump

Clump Member

I recently had a similar experience with a guitar bought from a business, damaged by Fedex in shipping. The seller has some "interesting" terms on their web site and insisted that their terms trumped Papal's. Their position was that they were helping me settle an issue with Fedex and had no duty at all in the matter. It got ugly. Ultimately Paypal refunded my money.

If you go to a dispute it takes time to resolve. The other party gets 10 days to respond. In my case they waited the full 10 days to respond to the dispute and again when I escalated it to a claim. They ended up offering my money back, less shipping. Paypal policy is that shipping is refunded as well. A call to paypal settled it quickly at that point.

You will get your money back, but might need to be patient. FWIW I completely agree that the seller should refund immediately.

20. jhmcgyver

I have reached the end of this purchase from Mr Richard Loiko known here as "jpage" Thanks for the very worst gear purchase experience I've ever had, period. Never had a bad one ,buying or selling. Please see the link below for how this member let a eight hundred dollar piece of gear ship from the northern US to south Florida with no packing. Regardless, if as he said "Fed Ex packed it" It was still his responsibility to make sure it was packed right. Thanks for telling me you would not refund my money till Fed Ex paid your claim, because you didn't want to get "stiffed" as you put it in the text you sent me.Thanks for keeping my money and making me file a claim with Paypal to get it back. Thanks for breaking off communication with me when you said " you were having a bad day and didn't want to deal with this anymore" Right after I showed you some of the comments from this forum of what some of the other members thought of our transaction. And yet, I did keep it anonymous. Up until now.
    Buyers beware!!!!

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/jhmcgyver/slideshow/Two Notes Torpedo

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015