1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for some Strat advice...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jazzbone, May 21, 2011.

1. jazzbone

jazzbone Member

I'm in the market for an affordable strat...700-900 neighborhood and it's been a while since I've been strat shopping. There seems to be a bewildering variety of models and series to choose from. I could use some sage advice on what to look for, what to stay away from, etc. MIJ, CIJ, E series, U series, American standard, hotrod????

I just want a decent knock-around strat...as always, I appreciate and value the advice from my forum brothers!

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Go play a bunch in your price range and pick one that you like.

3. Zero G

Zero G Member

This.

4. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

knowing what styles you plan to use it for might help narrow the field. as mentioned playing a few would be your best bet to see what works for you.

5. janosfia

janosfia Member

If you like the vintage specs, I'd recommend the Classic 50s or Classic 60s series Strats. Excellent quality for the price.

6. jfwund

jfwund Member

I just bought an American Special for $799 and it's great. Jumbo frets, texas specials, and satin finished neck...

7. mikee1

mikee1 Member

hop in the car go to your closest guitar center and grab every strat off of the wall that is a different model and after you find one that suits your needs and feels good to you go to the next SMALL, PRIVATE OWNED shop that has or can get for you one just like it. Keep the little guy in business!!! Go about it this way, unless you find on guitar that is just exceptional sounding i would buy from the local guy and use GC as a testing ground. Every thing is so close if you go to buy new now days its unlikely that you will find one that stands out... Now buying older or vintage strats is a different story. They do vary quite a bit so you should go by a item by item basis if thats what your looking for. good luck!!!

8. jazzbone

jazzbone Member

I prefer the flatter radius necks, rosewood board and a SSS configuration. I play alot of different styles but lean towards rock/blues. I will be buying used...I haven't purchased a new guitar in years. Pickups aren't really a concern...I'll be swapping them out. Just need a good bang for the buck guitar I can mod to my hearts content.

The American Special is interesting but I don't like the limited color options or the larger headstock.

9. picknpluck

picknpluck Member

Classic player series, then?

10. dughaze

dughaze Member

I'd get a used American Standard or an American Deluxe.

11. jazzbone

jazzbone Member

I'll check them out...they're made in the mexican factory, right? How's the quality compared to the american standard?

12. jazzbone

jazzbone Member

I've seen quite a few on flea bay...how are the MIJ or CIJ versions?

13. bkahuna

bkahuna Member

Love my American standard.:banana:banana

14. shg

shg Senior Member

Put together a partsocaster exactly the way you want it for half the price of an off-the-rack guitar. Win.

15. kenneth

kenneth Member

:huh

It will be difficult to built a quality partsocaster at half the price of an off-the-rack guitar, in my experience.

16. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

I got an American Standard on Craigslist for $600.
    Just taking her in to get professionally set up the way I like (low action, 009's on the strings, F# standard, bridge flush)... now plays like a dream. I ended up plunkin' a lot more on 'er recently, in fact...
    Just threw in a set of Mum's Milk.
    Love 'em more than life:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd like to get another Strat down the road and put my old VVG SP90's in there 'cause boy are those fellas sweet.
    Next time I'll probably nab a Highway 1. I had a H1 Tele a few years back and absolutely loved sluggin' out some rock action on that boy.

17. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

those are GREAT guitars -- i managed to get mine for $699 new, because it had gotten played a few times and hung on the sales wall for a while

i would ALSO consider the MIJ strats friom th early thru late 80s -- KILLER guitars for the money

18. jazzbone

jazzbone Member

I've built a few partcasters and while great guitars, in order to do it right, it's not the cheapest alternative. I have a Tele/LP Jr hybrid in the works right now. Parts alone are up in the 800-900 range.

19. jazzbone

jazzbone Member

I found an '88 deluxe on craig's list that the guy is asking $850. Pretty decent shape. Thinking of offering him $700...we'll see

20. coot tone

coot tone Member

If V necks are your thing, get a nice used Jimmie Vaughan signature. I recently picked one up here and it's the best Strat I've ever owned out of about 12, which would include two AV57 RIs, a Clapton sig, and a Knopfler sig.