looking for special pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratneck, Nov 8, 2005.

1. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

Yes guys ,i'm searching for a pedal the produces that power tube saturation. Is there any???. I use a Rivera Quiana and strats single coils[ Vand zandts] pups.
    Also, Iwould like to know about aTim Timmy and Zves what do they do, where can they be purchased???.
    I'll thank you for all that info.:cool:
    Stratneck

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I'd try a COT50.

I have read here many times that a Timmy produces power amp grind sounds, but I haven't played that one.

3. what?

what? Member

My special pedal at the moment is the twin 60 and gainster....for power amp dist type pedal check the aphek peanut butter....if you really into power amp distortion, you'll dig this pedal, but you got to start with good amp first as this pedal depends on amp 99%....it really makes you amp sounds wide open....there's another version of the panut butter called the sunday driver which the peanut butter with additional gain boost and tone filter 5 rotary knob if not mistaken....check it out in www.tonefrenzy.com

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Yes, the Aphex Peanut Butter will definitely do it...

5. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

+1 on the CoT 50. Very amplike with a chunky fat bottom much like
    a nonmaster volume Marshall being pushed to power amp breakup
    point.

6. stratneck

Hey philM, thaks for your sugestion, I am not familiar with the COT 50. Can you help me out where to check it out, or, a web site something on line? appreciated;)
    Stratneck

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

You've already got a nice amp, I presume you can't crank it up so you want that cranked up sound at lower volume? Get an attenuator.

8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

You can get them here or sometimes you can find used ones in The Gear Page Emporium.

A Rivera is my main amp too.

9. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

What kind of music do you play???
    One persons saturation is another ones headache....LOL
    The Tim and Timmy are not going to give you saturation, but moreso beef up your original tone. They are not gain pedals at all IMHO.
    You may want to look into a MI Audio Tube Zone. Very versatile, very amp like, and tons of gain/saturation to be had.
    Steve

10. stratneck

StevsVHT.
    I mostly play blues and bluesy rock.
    I love the sounds of Clapton's Cornell,Buddy Guy,Knowffler.
    NOoo preamp tubes saturation
    Straneck:cool:

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

With my TCJ DGTM, I get a very sweet, smooth, honey-dripping, slightly compressed bluesy sound with the toggle switch on the left. It's an excellent low/mid gain pedal which should give you all the blues you could ask for

12. stratneck

Sorry,,what tcj and the other pedal stands for?????......
    Stratneck

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

the H&K Blues Machine uses a real El84 based amp for it's distortion :D

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Pardon... the TC Jauernig Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator.
    http://mypeoplepc.com/members/tjauernig/tcjauernigelectronics/
    I should add that when I use it, it sounds a lot warmer and creamier then the soundclips on the site. I use a humbuckered LP, for the record

15. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

That is so true! Gain is very subjective. I (could) get all the drive I need from my TIM and Timmy stacked. Even Timmy alone is plenty for me. I also have the Tube Zone and that one has more gain on tap than I ever need. And all that is with single coil equipped strat and tele. So, for me the Timmy is the best medium overdrive pedal I've found and I use it as a stand alone overdrive to a clean amp with EL84 tubes. My medium overdrive could be someone else's low od.

16. Damon

Damon Member

Power tube saturation is really really hard for transistors - or even preamp tubes - to emulate... it is what it is.

A lotta times what we hear as power tube saturation also includes output transformer saturation and speaker/cabinet texture. It's really the interplay of the output section as a unit. Any speaker's impedance is going to change with frequency, depending on its design and the design of the cabinet. So it kind of "pushes back" in a dynamic fashion through the output transformer, which adds its own colour. This makes the load the power tube sees rather complex, and IMO that's where some of the the <i>magic</i> is.

You can run a line out from a small amp (Garnet Herzog was the first I think, THD Univalve can do it, Gjika Mini-Amp, sounds like the H&K is similar too) into your bigger amp to get a convincing - but more linear - approximation at low volumes.

17. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

DGTM is my favorite overdrive pedal and it works great in conjunction with the COT50. Loved it so much that I ordered the Gristle King. Should be here any day now.