Looking for suggestions for a gigging acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jdzialak, Jul 21, 2006.

1. jdzialak

jdzialak Supporting Member

I have a Godin A6 that never feeds back, but sounds like a banjo. It came with electric 009's that I quickly ditched for acoustic 11's. It still sucks.
    I've tried it with Fishmans and LR Baggs DI's, too.
    I want to get something warkmer and fuller sounding that doesn't feedback with loud monitors.
    I tried a friend's newer Martin D16 that sounded and played great, but it had a blend system with a mic right under the soundhole. It feeds back, and a rubber feedback buster would seem to kill the mic's input.
    Is the Taylor with ES the only way to go?
    I'm looking to stay around $1500.

Thanks,

Joe

2. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

3. suttree

suttree Member

i'll do the broken record thing. alvarez/yairi dy-88 (or one of their full body guitars) with a system 500 (or 600) pickup. sounds great, and works great, and etc. for ref: ani difranco, warren haynes, monte montgomery and more.

4. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

sutrtree,
    What do like about that pu system in particular? Would apprec. any info -- do you use a preamp as well, etc?

5. suttree

suttree Member

hey alister.

i just like the punch of it. it's a nice full tone, without the zinginess or the brittleness of most piezo pickups. i tried a bunch of stuff while i was shopping to replace my old tak that got stolen, and i worked at an alvarez dealer for a while. i ended up buying a santa cruz om/pw (for the acoustic tone, not the plug in usefulness), and i had a b-band put in it, which i like fine, if the soundperson has a clue. i should get a pre-amp for it, but i really don't play acoustic gigs anymore, and i've now gotten another acoustic (an alvarez without a pickup) that i would prefer to use on stage, it's got a great neck, and it isn't as bloody expensive as the santa cruz, so if it takes damage, i might live through the event.

i did sound for a living for a few years, and i've mixed a ton of acoustic acts. i've always been impressed with the alvarez system 500, it's punchy, has a great midrange presence, and it mixes really nicely (ie, doesn't disappear in the mix like a lot of acoustics do). the system 600 is the same, with a built in tuner, and an aux in for a small mic. these aren't as good as the taylor ES system, maybe.. but the budget is right, i'd recommend giving them a shot and see what you think. you can get a dy-88 (thinline with no soundhole, like an A6 or a gibson chet atkins model) used for way cheap, and i've always liked the necks on alvarez.

6. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Put a Sunrise pup in a guitar you like the sound and playability of. They don't sound incredibly natural and acoustic, but it's a nice full sound with excellent feedback rejection in loud situations. I used to have one before I put in my K&K. Lyle Lovett and Joni Mitchell have used the Sunrise pup forever..

I just got home from running sound on a gig that had a guitar player with a D15 and a Sunrise. Perfect workingman's setup for less than $1100.

Good luck and happy hunting - jv

7. suttree

suttree Member

hey johneevee, doesn't joni mitchell use a parker fly acoustic live?

8. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

suttree:
    Thanks very, very much. Lots of useful info, excactly what I was wondering about, including all the A.Yairi into, too.

9. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

yeah, i did see a picture of her playing a parker once. i'm sure she has a lot of guitars, and i'll bet a bunch of them still have a sunrise in them. she definitely used a sunrise for many years.

it seems to be the ol' standby for players from her and lyle, to shawn colvin and ben harper and a lot of others. although it's not a perfect acoustic sound, i find it to be the best sounding magnetic pup out there for playing acoustics in a loud setting. just my opinion, but it seems to be a popular one.

good luck - jv

10. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

CA guitars are excellent gigging guitars as they can take temperature changes and the rigors of playing out better than a conventional wood guitar. The new website can be seen now that they are in production again.

www.caguitars.com

I have owned 4 of them and they are amazing guitars, mostly for their playability and tone. I have owned a COT, X, AT-6 and still own Legacy (vintage voicing like a Martin Dreadnought).

I have gone all electric so I am selling the Legacy if anyone is interested.

I have also owned 3 Parker Fly's and they are great for acoustic tones, though they are primarily an electric guitar.

The Variax is crap (I have owned, played, and SOLD a lot of modelling gear)...I play guitar, not a computer.

11. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I recommend the Alvarez Masterworks route w/ a Sunrise pickup. I keep hearing the 'they don't sound like the most natural acoustic, but...'. I'd have to disagree. I just got back from High Sierra Music Festival recently where I witnessed tons of acoustic systems. Sunrise always sounded most natural and musical compared to any of the blend or under the saddle systems. if you're banging away at the acoustic, surely a magnetic won't sound 'most natural'...it'll do what magnetics do...overdrive.

12. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

Martin OOC15E has served me well for awhile. Its seen enough gigs that it's finish is in about the same condition as Willie Nelson's 'trigger". I just finished recording an album that has that guitar on over 90% of it with very little studio enhancement. It has the Fishman prefix preamp in it.

13. stephenT

stephenT Supporting Member

ditto the Sunrise and Sunrise buffer box on a Martin 15 series, just nothing better for a good stage sound that doesn't quack and feedback. Some folks do a mix with the Sunrise, a K&K for instance, but I like it straight, less issues.